1. #1
    98tjsherry's Avatar
    98tjsherry is offline Junior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2015
    Location
    Pennsylvania
    Posts
    4

    light bar questions

    Alright so i got a 24" 120w led bar to put on my bumper. My questions are, what gauge of wire should i use, how big of an inline fuse should i run, and how big of a switch do i need. Im not the best at wiring so any help is appreciated. Thanks
    When people ask if you're going to lock your doors when your tops off....

  2. #2
    JPNinPA's Avatar
    JPNinPA is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Dayton Ohio Area
    Posts
    4,583
    Quote Originally Posted by 98tjsherry View Post
    Alright so i got a 24" 120w led bar to put on my bumper. My questions are, what gauge of wire should i use, how big of an inline fuse should i run, and how big of a switch do i need. Im not the best at wiring so any help is appreciated. Thanks
    Run the lights through a relay with the switch on as the trigger. Here is a wiring diagram. 120W should be a 12A fuse.

    http://www.kchilites.com/media/kc-do...laydiagram.pdf
    "Never look down on anybody unless you're helping him up" - Jesse Jackson

  3. #3
    98tjsherry's Avatar
    98tjsherry is offline Junior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2015
    Location
    Pennsylvania
    Posts
    4

    Re: light bar questions

    Quote Originally Posted by JPNinPA View Post
    Run the lights through a relay with the switch on as the trigger. Here is a wiring diagram. 120W should be a 12A fuse.

    http://www.kchilites.com/media/kc-do...laydiagram.pdf
    Will it hurt to run a 30A fuse
    When people ask if you're going to lock your doors when your tops off....

  4. #4
    JPNinPA's Avatar
    JPNinPA is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Dayton Ohio Area
    Posts
    4,583
    Quote Originally Posted by 98tjsherry View Post
    Will it hurt to run a 30A fuse
    The fuse protects both your lights and other components like your battery. A 30A fuse could be used but for the cost of a fuse I'd put a 12 or 15A fuse in there.
    "Never look down on anybody unless you're helping him up" - Jesse Jackson

  5. #5
    98tjsherry's Avatar
    98tjsherry is offline Junior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2015
    Location
    Pennsylvania
    Posts
    4

    Re: light bar questions

    Quote Originally Posted by JPNinPA View Post
    The fuse protects both your lights and other components like your battery. A 30A fuse could be used but for the cost of a fuse I'd put a 12 or 15A fuse in there.
    Alright i already have a 30A thats why i asked
    When people ask if you're going to lock your doors when your tops off....

  6. #6
    DominiqueLee's Avatar
    DominiqueLee is offline Junior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2016
    Posts
    4

    Re: light bar questions

    Have just the same issue .. Just got few led bars of the similar size ( 27 Inch from https://www.ledoutfitters.com/mini-light-bars.html ), and have no single idea what gauge of wire to use now :) Looking forward to some useful advices , too.

  7. #7
    lefthand90's Avatar
    lefthand90 is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    127

    Re: light bar questions

    Quote Originally Posted by DominiqueLee View Post
    Have just the same issue .. Just got few led bars of the similar size ( 27 Inch from https://www.ledoutfitters.com/mini-light-bars.html ), and have no single idea what gauge of wire to use now :) Looking forward to some useful advices , too.
    This should give you overall idea on wiring an led light bar, see wire sizing table and wire grade standard.

    Wiring LED Light Bar

Similar Threads

  1. Offroad Light Placement Question?
    By RAVEN13xxx in forum General Chat
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 07-20-2003, 07:00 PM
  2. I need a light bar
    By dingus in forum Cherokee, Commander, Wagoneer and Liberty
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 07-20-2003, 07:00 PM
  3. 2002 Liberty OEM Light Bar
    By dingus in forum Cherokee, Commander, Wagoneer and Liberty
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 07-20-2003, 07:00 PM
  4. Liberty light bar on a TJ....?
    By PASmokeater in forum General Chat
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 07-20-2003, 07:00 PM
  5. Where to buy: YJ light bars
    By jhiggins in forum General Chat
    Replies: 15
    Last Post: 07-20-2003, 07:00 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Log in

Log in