Secondary battery (needing smaller size)

Turbogus

I'm sure there have been many,many posts about batteries for winching and so forth but I've got a unique situation.
'Black Betty' has been running plural batteries ever since I got a winch mounted up five or so years ago. In so doing I pulled an older battery BCI 34/78 from 'BB's stable mate, 'Easy Bake' as being my primary driver I needed it daily for my commute (also dual batteries). The fit was off only by a little bit in the custom tray in the Jeep that I figured I'd address at a later time.
Now that that old 34/78 is starting to wane (not bad for a decade old battery) I'm looking to get a new one but I'm hoping to find a slightly shorter case that'll fit this custom batery tray better. Is there a BCI size no. that is shorter than 10.9" length and 7.8 width?

I'm leaning toward a 51R at Costco the price is right, still Johnson Controls that is the same I've had in my van for a decade. Still uncertain though.

Last edited:

I can't help you with battery sizes, other to say that another option would be to get an AGM battery like an optima and mount it on it's side if height is an issue.

I use an optima yellowtop in my Jeep and like it (it's my second). It could just be that I don't know any better :redface:

I use an optima yellowtop in my Jeep and like it (it's my second). It could just be that I don't know any better :redface:

Maybe they are better now. Many complained of them failing or short life for the price

I got about 10 years out of my last yellow top. Totally happy with the battery, and just as happy with the replacement.

It occurs that since I'm also running plural batteries in 'Easy Bake' that are both serviceable, I'm thinking I could sacrifice one of them to 'Black Betty' as an installation of a new battery next to the secondary two year old battery would create a charging imbalance. that is unless my logic is flawed.

If the two year old battery is showing signs of end of life. Like a leaking cell where it can't hold12.6V or cannot support the CCA it should then it becomes a constant load when the engine is off or furring starting. If it's healthy then your good.

Back