2.5L performance?

next is the chip like i said earlier and then since these 2.5's run lean and at wot go rich id do the ignition with a davis unified ignition setup, comes with new cap and rotor, high output coil, and 10mm wires and then at that point change the plugs while im at it. and the electric cooling with a 2inch aluminum core radiator.

next is the chip like i said earlier and then since these 2.5's run lean and at wot go rich id do the ignition with a davis unified ignition setup, comes with new cap and rotor, high output coil, and 10mm wires and then at that point change the plugs while im at it. and the electric cooling with a 2inch aluminum core radiator.

Hey what is your opinion on magnacor wires? I currently run a accel coil rated at 42,000 volts with accel 8mm wires along with NGK slightly gapped a little bigger at .040. Ofcourse thats along with all my other mods.

Skulljeep683 said:

If your boosting it stay away from platinum plugs they melt off under any abuse. And make sure your always a little rich to be on the safe side. Run the good ol champion copper plugs. They seem to be the only ones that hold up. Only plugs we get out of almost a whole season with nitrous.

Well i went to jp magazines website and they did an article with links to up the power on these four cylinders and they recommended the davis unified ignition, so thats what im gonna use. As for over gapping all that does is lose miles per gallon on the 4 cylinders. When they are overgapped fuel economy suffers, i havent seen any power gain by over gapping them. 10mm wires with a high voltage coil, with a cap and rotor to match is your best bet. Brands are brands, in my opinion as for price and durability i believe you get what you pay for. My opinion of course. All in all go with what makes you happy as long as you get the power your lookin for i see no issue.

Jester32 said:
If your boosting it stay away from platinum plugs they melt off under any abuse. And make sure your always a little rich to be on the safe side. Run the good ol champion copper plugs. They seem to be the only ones that hold up. Only plugs we get out of almost a whole season with nitrous.

I'll be definitely sure to keep that in mind. What do you about platinum plugs with no boost for the time being?

The only time I run platinum is if they came from the factory with them. They have different resistances etc.

The only time I run platinum is if they came from the factory with them. They have different resistances etc.

Yea I only gapped up to .040, I once had them gapped at .045 and did not like it. It seem to lose torque. Went back down to .040 and they work great. They are the NGK V groove. I dont believe there platnuim.

So the bosch +4 and the fusions and iridiums or whatever they be called, are all no go? Cause i thought you want los resistance for your plugs so you get a quality spark, to burn the amount of fuel. Thats what i did with my S-ER motor.

Skulljeep683 said:
So the bosch +4 and the fusions and iridiums or whatever they be called, are all no go? Cause i thought you want los resistance for your plugs so you get a quality spark, to burn the amount of fuel. Thats what i did with my S-ER motor.

I wouldn't run them. The only advantage the platinums and iridiums have is they last longer as the metal does not transfer as much as copper. As for performance the copper plugs keep close to the same performance in high heat and combustion pressures.

When i worked with the chevy dealer a while back, doin the aftermarket upgrades for the corvette club guys, everybody would run the cooler temp spark plugs when you run boost so you didnt get predetonation. So im just tryin to keep that in mind, so i could pound that out early that seems ideal to me tis all.

Skulljeep683 said:
When i worked with the chevy dealer a while back, doin the aftermarket upgrades for the corvette club guys, everybody would run the cooler temp spark plugs when you run boost so you didnt get predetonation. So im just tryin to keep that in mind, so i could pound that out early that seems ideal to me tis all.

Ya. Always gotta go cooler. You can run into fouling problems if your not built for it yet though.

Ya. Always gotta go cooler. You can run into fouling problems if your not built for it yet though.

gotcha. i just added this forum to my phone ive been takin serious notes, mainly on the cam and such, if i run that race cam an do build obnoxious cylinder pressure i'll just blow the motor head clean off i suppose?

Usually a head gasket or melt a piston. I've squeezed a few motors with a cam ground for race and not a nitrous and had some interesting results. From bent Rods to cummins blocks splitting right down the cam bore lol. But I'm talkin guys serious about power. A little boost and they live ok. But if your building from scratch why not build for boost and have reliable fun. We just dynoed a 1700 hp twin turbo sbc that made 1400 hp on 87 octane at 19 lbs boost. And it was a "budget build lol ". Just saying. It rarely costs much more for forged internals so why cheap out.

Usually a head gasket or melt a piston. I've squeezed a few motors with a cam ground for race and not a nitrous and had some interesting results. From bent Rods to cummins blocks splitting right down the cam bore lol. But I'm talkin guys serious about power. A little boost and they live ok. But if your building from scratch why not build for boost and have reliable fun. We just dynoed a 1700 hp twin turbo sbc that made 1400 hp on 87 octane at 19 lbs boost. And it was a "budget build lol ". Just saying. It rarely costs much more for forged internals so why cheap out.

very nice, if you dont mind me askin whats "sbc?" im not familiar with the acronym.

I dont think i'll ever make 500 though with the 2.5 if done right im still shooting ballpark of 400...

Back