2.5L performance?

currupt4130 said:
i need to do that electric fan, a guy in my club has it and its nice. i can stand there anyway, but not having to stradle the fan would be great.

'specially when it's running, right?:shock:

that is too funny! once when changing my oil my wife stolled over, took a look under my hood, and proceeded to laugh at me saying how my engine bay was all fan shroud!

Hello guys. I recently bought a 95 YJ with the 4 cyl. 5 spd, 4in. lift, 32 in. tires. This is my first Jeep to own. I have been reading about some of you guys removing the air flow restrictor for more power. Can someone please explain where this restrictor is and how to go about doing it. Any other suggestions for more power will be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance

I think if you spend a little time and search the site, you'll find what you're looking for..............I know it's been talked about alot!!!

fellow 4-banger,
mud

Still more questions. Will this accomplish the same thing as changing out the air intake to K and N type system? Also thinking of installing a throttle body spacer. Airraid power Aid(74.99) or the Helix Power Tower(69.99). (The Helix says its the larger 4.0 throttle body bore size for more power?) Any thoughts on this? Thanks in advance

drewman said:
Still more questions. Will this accomplish the same thing as changing out the air intake to K and N type system?
No, it opens up the tube from the stock airbox, but it won't open it up as well as a tube and cone filter. Adding a "drop-in" K&N filter in place of the stock air filter combined with the restrictor removal would give a better result, but still a cone will breathe best.

Keep in mind, doing either of these will give a nominal result, and are best combined with additional mods (full exhaust, electric fan, etc.)

That 4 bangers United site has a lot of info...

Sparky-Watts said:
Here's a good link that give pretty decent instructions....it's really pretty simple, 5 minutes or less.

Airflow Restrictor Tube Removal

o now you put up the link... been reading about these restrictors for a few weeks now and decide to go out and take mine off today... walk out pop the hood and stand there thinking now what the hell would one of these look like... google for 20 minutes with no luck so i get bored and decide to look up snorkels instead... first link searchin jeepz has a pic of the restrictor being removed(ironic huh?)... run back outside cause a storm is coming and try pulling the sob out... long story short screwdriver slipped and i'm gonna have one great inch long scar down my thumb now... added a little performancewise but i think the deeper sound of my engine alone made it worth it... i hear there's a second restrictor somewhere but my thumb was throbbing by the time i decided to start looking for it... maybe i can get a link to it before i hurt myself this time

red93 said:
o now you put up the link... been reading about these restrictors for a few weeks now and decide to go out and take mine off today... walk out pop the hood and stand there thinking now what the hell would one of these look like... google for 20 minutes with no luck so i get bored and decide to look up snorkels instead... first link searchin jeepz has a pic of the restrictor being removed(ironic huh?)... run back outside cause a storm is coming and try pulling the sob out... long story short screwdriver slipped and i'm gonna have one great inch long scar down my thumb now... added a little performancewise but i think the deeper sound of my engine alone made it worth it... i hear there's a second restrictor somewhere but my thumb was throbbing by the time i decided to start looking for it... maybe i can get a link to it before i hurt myself this time

I don't know if you disconnected your battery to let the computer reset or not, but that isn't really necessary. When I did mine, I just left it connected and after a couple of days, it started to readjust itself and I could tell a bit of a difference without the restrictor. That mod alone boosted my mileage from 14 to around 20! I believe the "second restrictor" you're talking about is a myth.....don't know who started it, but nobody seems to know where it would be......

Yeah my poor thumb is tellin me not to go lookin for it... i can already tell it's gonna make some sort of difference in gas mileage because i'm not pushin down quite as hard to keep it at the same speeds and going up hills isn't quite as embarrassing (still not a speed demon)... i think my computer might have readjusted itself by now cause when i first did this mod the sound coming from then engine wasn't as smooth as it is now... better gas mileage means i can get my lift sooner! o yeah can't wait to destroy my gas mileage again

fastest my jeep was ever going it was being pulled behind my parent's motorhome to florida... but that's ok cause i ask myself "How are people supposed to see how extremely awesome my jeep is if i drive by too fast?"

Sparky-Watts said:
I don't know if you disconnected your battery to let the computer reset or not, but that isn't really necessary. When I did mine, I just left it connected and after a couple of days, it started to readjust itself and I could tell a bit of a difference without the restrictor. That mod alone boosted my mileage from 14 to around 20! I believe the "second restrictor" you're talking about is a myth.....don't know who started it, but nobody seems to know where it would be......
My 95 has a restrictor where the air comes into the filter housing. Removed both today and fixing to go drive it and see if it makes a difference.

TwistedCopper said:
DO you have a pic of this second restrictor?!?!?!?

or

Can you take one?
I went to take a picture but my camera batteries are dead. as soon as I can find the cord to my battery charger I will charge the batteries and take a picture then post it. In the mean time just look at the front of the filter housing. there is a hole where the air enters the housing. this is where the restriction is. it is similiar to the other one and comes out the same.

Back