2.5L performance?

Let me save a few more dollars, money seems hard to come by these days. How much are we looking at? O yeah what are the stock bore sizes top side and bottom, I forget?

Last edited:

I don't know all the dimensions but I believe the base of each throttle body may be this: 4.0L 55mm, 2.5L 51mm. The base is the narrowest point.

I'd probably do $50 on a 4.0L TB in like new condition, which includes shipping within the US.

Sounds good I will put it on my wish list for after christmas. Yes you are right on the bottom of the 2.5L, it is 51mm. O yeah where would I go when I am ready to purchase.

I don't know all the dimensions but I believe the base of each throttle body may be this: 4.0L 55mm, 2.5L 51mm. The base is the narrowest point.

I'd probably do $50 on a 4.0L TB in like new condition, which includes shipping within the US.
hey man i just wanted to ask if u ever herd of someone putting in a 2.4L DOC engine from a neon or the like in a jeep. those motors have more hp more torque. Just a thing to make u go Hmmmmm:scratch:. i like the idea but i have no idea if the trans will bolt up. check it out i think u would like.
the 2.4 http://www.allpar.com/mopar/24.html
the 2.5 http://www.allpar.com/model/cj/specs.html

Last edited:

hey man i just wanted to ask if u ever herd of someone putting in a 2.4L DOC engine from a neon or the like in a jeep. those motors have more hp more torque. Just a thing to make u go Hmmmmm:scratch:. i like the idea but i have no idea if the trans will bolt up. check it out i think u would like.
the 2.4 The 2.4 liter four-cylinder Chrysler-Dodge engine
the 2.5 1997-2007 Jeep Wrangler specifications

There is a write up somewhere where someone did a swap to a 2.4L DOHC but I believe it was a jeep engine. I think it was somewhere in off-road magazine of 4wheel offroad mag. It was pretty much a clean swap as far as engine swaps go. It is about a 30% more increase in horse power just stock alone. Then you also have to consider the horse power to wieght ratio, which is good. Light and powerful. I will look for the write up when I get a chance.

There is a write up somewhere where someone did a swap to a 2.4L DOHC but I believe it was a jeep engine. I think it was somewhere in off-road magazine of 4wheel offroad mag. It was pretty much a clean swap as far as engine swaps go. It is about a 30% more increase in horse power just stock alone. Then you also have to consider the horse power to wieght ratio, which is good. Light and powerful. I will look for the write up when I get a chance.
thanks i would love to read it. ya know i might just do that one day bc those engines r easier to come by so they r cheaper. :rolleyes:

If i was going to do an engine swap, i would probably go with a V6 or V8; I dont think it's worth the hazzle to put another 4 banger in there...

lighter with 30% more power than b4 and if it bolts up thats even better. and cheaper and the torque comes on at a lower rpm. i like the idea i just may have to do that when this motor starts going.

To Bounty Hunter when I swap from a 2.5L TB to a 4.0L TB I believe I need to put all the 2.5L sensors on to the 4.0L. Correct me if I am wrong. My main question is on the IAC do I need to swap that housing that it mounts to or just the Idle Air Control sensor only? And of course all other sensors. Thanks

the 2.4 The 2.4 liter four-cylinder Chrysler-Dodge engine
the 2.5 1997-2007 Jeep Wrangler specifications

I believe Chrysler 2.0/2.4L DOHC are higher reving motors.
In 2003 Jeep TJ Wrangler replaced the 2.5L with a 2.4L DOHC motor. I have seen several sweet +2003 TJ 2.4L with swapped out Turbo SRT4 2.4L turbo motors. My bros Heavily modded SRT4 is pushing 310-355HP/325-365TQ at 3200/4800 RPM.

Swapping a 2.4L for a 2.5L / 4.0L is really involved.

It all depends on what you are using the Jeep for.
A 2.4L turbo would like light mud, sand, and D.D.
A 2.5L, 4.0L, or v8 would be good for Rock Crawling.
A 4.0L or v8 would be good for D.D. and Mud bogging; other drivetrain upgrades prolly needed then.

IMO The 2.5L is a really good little motor. I preffered my built 91YJ 2.5L EFI over my 90YJ 4.2L carb'd POS.

To Bounty Hunter when I swap from a 2.5L TB to a 4.0L TB I believe I need to put all the 2.5L sensors on to the 4.0L. Correct me if I am wrong. My main question is on the IAC do I need to swap that housing that it mounts to or just the Idle Air Control sensor only? And of course all other sensors. Thanks
Yes, you swap all sensors INCLUDING the IAC housing. The IAC housing is often attached with 4 tamper-proof torx bits so be sure to pick up a set of those. In rare instances they're attached with standard torx.

Yes, you swap all sensors INCLUDING the IAC housing. The IAC housing is often attached with 4 tamper-proof torx bits so be sure to pick up a set of those. In rare instances they're attached with standard torx.

Ok I will remember that. Thanks a bunch for clarifying.

Hey would I need some type of sealer or something when swapping out that housing for the IAC, from a 2.5L to the 4.0L TB.?

No, there's a paper gasket that generally stays intact when swapping. Be careful in case it is brittle.

I've got a lot of gaskets, I could send you one. Or the local parts store may have them. You'll need to buy a set of tamper-proof torx sockets, or at least the socket of the appropriate size.

I've got a lot of gaskets, I could send you one. Or the local parts store may have them. You'll need to buy a set of tamper-proof torx sockets, or at least the socket of the appropriate size.

Sounds good, Hey are the screws the same in both the 2.5L and the 4.0L IAC housing?

Just added new fan

Attachments

• ForumRunner_20110706_175504.png
    ForumRunner_20110706_175504.png
    290.3 KB · Views: 384
Cool, what kind of fan did you get? and how is it working for you, what difference do you feel performance or other wise?

No notice of real power increase that can b felt that I know of. But I have noticed that the motor runs 20 to 30 degrees cooler than b4. I got a psc fan and switched on the acc so It comes on with the key. Used the original fan shroud mounted it with 90 dagree angle brackets. All in all it took me about 3hrs not too bad considering I was on the phone and bs'n with some friends.

Back