2.5L performance?

If you change the 2.5 TBI to the 4.0 TBI do you need to change the fuel pump as well to keep up with the extra demand of fuel?

drewman said:
I went to take a picture but my camera batteries are dead. as soon as I can find the cord to my battery charger I will charge the batteries and take a picture then post it. In the mean time just look at the front of the filter housing. there is a hole where the air enters the housing. this is where the restriction is. it is similiar to the other one and comes out the same.

My '94 doesn't have a restrictor there...it has the intake "snout" that runs up behind the grill and turns down at the front end, but no restrictor......:???:

BaconYJ said:
If you change the 2.5 TBI to the 4.0 TBI do you need to change the fuel pump as well to keep up with the extra demand of fuel?

i wouldnt think so because your PCM is for a 2.5 so the amount of fuel will be the same...also, the injectors are also the same i believe...

drewman said:
I went to take a picture but my camera batteries are dead. as soon as I can find the cord to my battery charger I will charge the batteries and take a picture then post it. In the mean time just look at the front of the filter housing. there is a hole where the air enters the housing. this is where the restriction is. it is similiar to the other one and comes out the same.

i believe you are talking about the resonator in front of the air filter...

I'm don't know what a resonator is or does but it sure looks a lot like the restrictor between the filter and the tb. I charged my camera batteries last night and will try to post a pic tonight.

i just got my first jeep, 87 comanche 2.5. having said that ive been a mechanic and fabricator since, well as far as i can remember.
isnt the 2.5 a general motors motor?
i was under the impression that the 2.5 is what they called the iron duke motor. it this is the case there is a lot of stuff available for this engine! cams, pistons, roller rockers even performance heads.

can some one tell me if i'm right or wrong?
thanks
jeff

i just got my first jeep, 87 comanche 2.5. having said that ive been a mechanic and fabricator since, well as far as i can remember.
isnt the 2.5 a general motors motor?
i was under the impression that the 2.5 is what they called the iron duke motor. it this is the case there is a lot of stuff available for this engine! cams, pistons, roller rockers even performance heads.

can some one tell me if i'm right or wrong?
thanks
jeff

It's an AMC Design with lots of GM parts to my knowledge.

I'm all about more torque rather then mass amount of horsepower. I think i'd redo the gears, rather then go out and spend big bucks on things that would improve it. But most of those improvments won't come into effect until 33's or better.

I could pull 65 on the highway on 35's no problem with a 4 spd, thats pretty much the same as regearing. now on 38's the 4 banger is lacking a little bit even with 5.13's. I can get her to 50, but to tell you the truth, im scared to go over that with it now :lol:

I just picked up a np435 myself, and plan on staying with my 4 cyl 2.5, I have a dana 300 to mate up to the back, I just have a few questions about the np435 swap. you used your ax5 bellhousing, and what adapter kit from advance, the one for the nv4500 and modified it? i talked to them and they said that is what to do, because they dont have a kit they told me specifically for thr np435....you reuse the fork and throwout bearing, does the kit come with the piot bushing? what mods were necesary for the adapter to work with the np435? what clutch did you use? and flywheel/flexplate?
thanks for any info you want to send my way man
dewitt

I have a '94 YJ 2.5L, and I also have the 2 restrictions; one on the front hole of the filter box, and the one on the part tubing going back. I removed both today, so I will be able to tell you sometime in teh future if I notice any effects (I still have not found any noticeable effects, but I understand the computer needs to re-learn the conditions, and this takes a couple of weeks).

As for other mods, I have a K&N filter, Gibson Hi Flow Cat-Back, Accell Coil with 8mm wires (my engine was coughing a little, and I had to replace the coil anyway, so I decided to go for a little better coil), Bosch sparkplugs, and I already ordered a Helix Throttle Body Spacer (once it arrives, I will go ahead and install that also). I also want to replace the 2.5L throttle body for a 4.0L throttle body, but I have been unable to locate the 4.0L version... Still have to visit a junkyard (if I can find one), or something similar. Any suggestions on where to get one near Miami, FL?

Felipe

have any of you tried those performance chips that trick your pcm to think the air temp is colder than it really is? i imagine it would just ruin your gas mileage dumping that extra fuel, but w/ a 4.0L throttle body, ram air intake, and maybe a header i'm thinking i could get an extra 15-25hp. if anyone has a wild hair and extra $600-$700 to try it let me know how it goes.

I saw some of these chips on eBay starting at $6.99, another at $59.99, and others up (new from dealer). I asked all of them to send me technical data proving the increase in HP that they claim (dyno or other), and they al refused to send data, which only leads me to believe the claims are a little (so as to not say COMPLETELY!) bogus...

As they say... If it sounds too good to be true, it probably is. But having said that, at $6.99 you cant really go wrong.

Felipe

check out this month's JP magazine, big write up on modifying the 2.5/4.0, basically leave the 2.5 alone, with exception of avenger s/chargers. Bolt on parts do nothing for the 2.5l, sometimes they actually reduce power. If jeep could've gotten more ponies from it, they would of.The throttle body is sized to provide hp's AND torque. If jeep could've just made one t-body for both, they would of, it would've been cheaper. Adding three ponies is not worth your time nor is it noticeable, assuming you actually get them.And you may even lose some low-end. Your 2.5l wiil serve you well, leave it alone and regear your axe's.

check out this month's JP magazine, big write up on modifying the 2.5/4.0, basically leave the 2.5 alone, with exception of avenger s/chargers. Bolt on parts do nothing for the 2.5l, sometimes they actually reduce power. If jeep could've gotten more ponies from it, they would of.The throttle body is sized to provide hp's AND torque. If jeep could've just made one t-body for both, they would of, it would've been cheaper. Adding three ponies is not worth your time nor is it noticeable, assuming you actually get them.And you may even lose some low-end. Your 2.5l wiil serve you well, leave it alone and regear your axe's.
While I'll agree that no single mod will have a huge impact for a 2.5L, doing several can. The most bang for the buck is a electric fan conversion. Instead of trying to squeeze more power from the motor, it frees up some that were already there but being used ;)

While I'll agree that no single mod will have a huge impact for a 2.5L, doing several can. The most bang for the buck is a electric fan conversion. Instead of trying to squeeze more power from the motor, it frees up some that were already there but being used ;)

:agree:

Now, if JP Magazine had an opinion on which Cotton Dockers went with my Air Nike's and Old Navy Fleece pullover, I might pay attention to them.:D

:agree:

Now, if JP Magazine had an opinion on which Cotton Dockers went with my Air Nike's and Old Navy Fleece pullover, I might pay attention to them.:D
I'd go with Khaki. Khaki goes with just about anything.

Back