Mod's for getting low end power

49willy

and when i saw low end i mean torque, basically. what mods do you do to your engine to get more torque/hp at lower rpm's? im going to be dopping a 6 cyl in my jeep one of these days and im going to want to get a bit more out of it than what it comes with. and what kind of place sells after market parts for basically every engine high performance or not?

anything that allows the engine to breath better will boost power across the board.

low restriction intake, and exhaust are the obvious.

something like roller rockers to reduce valvetrain friction is also a good way.

not to mention reducing parasitic drag, like electric fans.

beyond that something like some ported heads could boost power, and possibly milling the heads to boost compression can raise power...but that would require some research.

If you already know you want more out of the six cylinder, why are you swapping one in in the first place?

If you already know you want more out of the six cylinder, why are you swapping one in in the first place?

Since his username is "49 Willy", I'm guessing this swap is being done to a 49 Willys. He is probably talking about a V6 swap, since they fit better in the older Jeeps.

If so, I would suggest a later(like 1985 or so and up) Chevrolet 4.3L 90 degree V6. It's a larger displacement V6 with a 3.48" stroke, which will help with low RPM grunt, and parts are plentiful. With almost any V6 though, like a 4 cylinder, you are wasting time trying to build low rpm power. Your better option is to concentrate on just making more power by improving flow and not worry too much about the specific rpm the peak power numbers come in at. Then gear the Jeep appropriately.

For low end power, open up the air flow in and out and slip in a good low end grunt cam. These are the best mods I have found for low end grunt.

Back