Do throttle body spacers really work?

Well shut my mouth! :redface: I learned something here. One note on this however is
"The spacer makes no HP on the Dyno. It makes all of it's power in torque in the low end."
Being that most jeepers are rock crawling or cragging over obstacles, and by design of the 4.0L engine getting most of its power in low end range, wouldn't it still be beneficial to add a TBS to gain a bit of torque? I'm glad you researched on this because I seriously was believing what most people did about TBS'. I currently have a Howell TBI set up on my 4.2L Jeep and I was getting ready to make the purchase of a 4.3L TBS for it. Being that I've noticed a substantial mid range power band shift from my old Weber carb, I've now got doubts that adding one will do anything. Thanks for the education. :pray:

I have one in my 4 cyl and noticed a differnce to, more of a diffence than the jet computer chip made.

You have got to be kidding me, do PPL still fall for this junk? Here put these magnets on your fuel line and it will align the fuel molecules, even if the fuel is not magnetic, it is MAGIC. Here put this under your Throttle body it will mix your fuel better..... UMMMMM most fuel injected motors are not throttle body injected anymore... can you say port injected? "If you did not see any added power or fuel mileage then it is doing it's job"? What a load of corp double talk... yes it is doing it's job alright... it is pealing the money out of your wallet and into their pockets. It causes turbulance in the intake system... the exact thing that most racers do right? UMMMM porting and polishing is to SMOOTH the air flow into the chamber to increase power and fuel delivery. OHH it makes Mini tornados in the intake plenum.... and do these little tornados like magic turn in your intake and head down every intake runner to mix with the fuel with out being pulled apart by the valve opening causing a vacuum in the intake runner? The way to increase fuel Atomization is to increase fuel pressure making the fuel squirt out of the injector harder. What to see it for real and test out the idea.... take off the end of your garden hose and turn it on.... there is Zero presure with full flow.. now stick your thumb over it... OH look a nice spray (atomization) but kind of lumpy.... now press your thumb on it harder... Pressure picks up and the spray gets smaller.... how is this mini tornado in the plenum helping mix this fuel in the intake runner? OK Air raid... lets see some On dyno computer controlled lab numbers on just one motor.... any on the web site? Sure in the cold air intake system... but anything on the Spacer? NOPE.....

I am sorry folks, just had to get that off my chest... I hate snake oil.

You have got to be kidding me, do PPL still fall for this junk? Here put these magnets on your fuel line and it will align the fuel molecules, even if the fuel is not magnetic, it is MAGIC. Here put this under your Throttle body it will mix your fuel better..... UMMMMM most fuel injected motors are not throttle body injected anymore... can you say port injected? "If you did not see any added power or fuel mileage then it is doing it's job"? What a load of corp double talk... yes it is doing it's job alright... it is pealing the money out of your wallet and into their pockets. It causes turbulance in the intake system... the exact thing that most racers do right? UMMMM porting and polishing is to SMOOTH the air flow into the chamber to increase power and fuel delivery. OHH it makes Mini tornados in the intake plenum.... and do these little tornados like magic turn in your intake and head down every intake runner to mix with the fuel with out being pulled apart by the valve opening causing a vacuum in the intake runner? The way to increase fuel Atomization is to increase fuel pressure making the fuel squirt out of the injector harder. What to see it for real and test out the idea.... take off the end of your garden hose and turn it on.... there is Zero presure with full flow.. now stick your thumb over it... OH look a nice spray (atomization) but kind of lumpy.... now press your thumb on it harder... Pressure picks up and the spray gets smaller.... how is this mini tornado in the plenum helping mix this fuel in the intake runner? OK Air raid... lets see some On dyno computer controlled lab numbers on just one motor.... any on the web site? Sure in the cold air intake system... but anything on the Spacer? NOPE.....

I am sorry folks, just had to get that off my chest... I hate snake oil.

You know, there IS such a thing as being TOO sarcastic. :deadhorse: We get it that you don't believe in the "magic" gimmicks that may or may not work. I think we pretty much beat this post up about the validity of spacers. Until you or anybody here can provide hard dyno info on TBS' or any other bolt on modifier, nobody has proved anything here. Put it up so all of us skeptics can be put to rest. Otherwise get off the soapbox. Oh and btw, many of us wheelers out there aren't MPI. There are those of us who are running Throttle bodies on earlier Jeeps (i.e. Howell, Edlebrock, homebrew etc.). Although not the first choice when compared with MPI, but a HUGE step up from the carbonator! :smile:

Last edited:

I am curious to see Terry's response, Terry did your mileage go up?

Wheew! it's hot in here. i'm still waiting for Mr. Mason's MPS(Magic power System). still on back order. lol.

There is always someone who know's everything about nothing!!! Like 4 reply's ago! ha ha ha

I myself know that everyone has an opinion, but opinion's that are based on assumption instead of personal knowledge and or fact are a worthless waste of keystrokes and our time! They should send it in to Dear Abby or even just bag it all together!!!

Ha Ha okay I will drop it!! But yes there was a noticable improvement in mileage and power. Not a HUGE differance, but yes, noticable!!!
thx

I never tried throttle body spacers. . . cause I don't understand how it work... As I read along still can't understand.

Guess it I'm an idiot! lol

your not an idiot!! these companies spend millions on R&D as I understand it kind of works like the old 202 fuely heads!! the vortec swirl! or some crap like that!! But yes somehow it does help!!!

I don't think the helix grooves cut into any spacer work, to me it seems the air moves much too fast. I think they only work in that they increase plenum volume.

i have one with the ram air system
i get better power but my milage has droped off

This thread is LOL.. someone post actual number and not "I think I got more power" please. I would like to see what a documented upgrade can do, and please, not one from a manufacturer, they are very biased.

I have a spacer and I could not tell the different after. I've been running it for near 10 years and if I took it off tomorrow, I would be hard pressed to see any changes.

I put a Power Aid TBS and cold air intake on my 91 YJ 4.0litre and it ran way smoother from idle to where ever your foot puts it.Don't know about one without the other though.Hope this helps....

i added a rusty's tbs and i noticed a small improvment in gas mileage and a better throttle response

This thread is LOL.. someone post actual number and not "I think I got more power" please. I would like to see what a documented upgrade can do, and please, not one from a manufacturer, they are very biased.

I have a spacer and I could not tell the different after. I've been running it for near 10 years and if I took it off tomorrow, I would be hard pressed to see any changes.

try passing a semi you will feel the differance over stock
hard acelleration is where it felt :cry:

It will work, my friend tried that. . . and I see it with my own eyes! didn't know the exact procedure but it see it work.

Heres a cheap TBS. A 1 x 4 and a drill. If this home made one works then make a dission to keep it or go buy one. If I can keep my 88 yj running long enough to make a tbs then I will. Wood carb, or TBS have been done for years.

As for a cold air intake Hard ware store here I come. Not that I am that cheap just have two rigs to keep up. PS dont get the wife a rig!

i have a tbs spacer and airraid intake on my 4.0 i get decent "oomph"
my milage ranges from 16.5 to 17.3 and i have a heavy foot, 4:56 gears and 35's :shades:

Back