Gauging interest in a VW TDI swap kit...

Would you be interested in swapping a VW TDI into your jeep?

• Total voters

XJ92TDI

Hey everyone...(obviously) I'm new here, but I'm just trying to gauge interest in parts to swap a VW TDI into a jeep. I've got a 92 XJ (hence the name) that I will be using to prototype the initial transmission adapter and motor mounts, but would like feedback from other jeepers as to what they are looking for. Obviously, it's a long list for a swap like this, so right now, I'd just like to get an idea of how many people would be interested, and for which models of Jeeps, which transmissions and the engines they would be replacing. I will also be posting on some other sites as well, so if you respond here, please don't respond to the others as well, I'd like to get an honest idea. I figure, there's nothing better than 4 wheeling, except being able to 'wheel more often because you are spending half as much money on fuel!
Thanks,
Sean

You can save yourself some retrofit time by finding a '79 Postal Jeep with the Audi 2.0L. I sold mine for $300 and the guy is putting a Jetta diesel in place of it. Mounts match up and the trans only needs a low stall converter for the diesel to make it work.

Ok, so I've been working on acquiring some of the parts needed, and working with my partner in this project, we decided we want to get some input from the other people who are interested, because they may not be as insane as we are. So, let's get some feedback! For those of you who are interested in this conversion, what are you looking for EXACTLY? What model, engine, trans would you want it for?
100% inclusive, including engine?
Complete swap kit without engine?
Just the basics (engine mounts, trans adapter) and you figure out everything else?
Wiring harness included, or just a schematic to wire it yourself?
Complete fuel system, or just instructions?
Would you want a complete intercooler, or figure that out yourself?
What would you be willing to pay for a complete kit sans engine?
What would you be willing to pay for the basic hard parts and instructions for the rest?
What would you be willing to pay for just the components you want?
I know everyone would want to say "I want it free" but let's try to be realistic. Find a TDI in a pull it yourself junkyard and you can get the complete engine for probably well under $1000, so figure on what else you would want.

.AOLWebSuite .AOLPicturesFullSizeLink { height: 1px; width: 1px; overflow: hidden; } .AOLWebSuite a {color:blue; text-decoration: underline; cursor: pointer} .AOLWebSuite a.hsSig {cursor: default}

DO it.. You will be at the upper limit of the motor's Power vs weight in a Full Body wrangler in it's stock configuration, but a couple simple power adders will be a huge help.

You may want to post on www.4btswaps.com aswell. Those guys are very good when it comes to diseals. Please keep us posted though. I have always drooled over a diseal Jeep. Mmmmmm torque.....

Bacon

I've been on the hunt for an affordable 2LT Toyota motor with auto trans (they ran AW4 trans too) to swap into an XJ. Found a non-turbo one so far.

i have seen sumthin on youtube not shure if its u or not but its bin done. they did a jeep yj i belive and they used (i think) the ax-5 that was in it nd the np231 they beefed the axles a lil with new shafts ran a small lift with 35''s nd 4.88 gears bunch of stuff on google bout it nd its interesting 4 a daily driver all purpose lite weght rig ''like said above with sum torque'' but 4 me im planing off-road only rig with d60s nd aprox. 40'' tires i would need pritty tall gears

I'm interested in this for sure. Wanted to do a diesel in my xj but got scared away due to lack of support. Went sbc instead but Im a huge diesel fan. Had two diesel bj 40 landcruiser

I'm a huuuge fan of diesel and I've always dreamed of a diesel Jeep. That's a goal of mine is to eventually do a swap.

Well guys, been a while, but thought I'd give an update. I had found a company that would mill the adapters, found a company that makes a flywheel that will work for an AW4. Then, the bad news. To pay some bills I had to sell the jeep, so I've been put on hold indefinitely. On the plus side, HPA Motorsports, the renowned VW tuner, has done it. But their adapter is for the AX15 and YJs.
hpamotorsports.com/TDI-YJ-AX5.htm

That's no good sorry to hear about the jeep. I would love to keep my aw4 that would be sweet

Back