stumped in sparks

makwa2719

i have a 88 jeep cherokee, but it wont cold start.:( if i put a small ammount of fuel in the air intake it fires right up and runs fine. no sputtering or anything, if i let it warm up it is perfect, you can turn it off and start it back up just fine. but if it gets cold it wont start again. i have replaced the fuel pump and all the plugs, it has an new air filter and a new oil change. i am completely lost. someone said it was the pump but if that was the case then wouldnt it run like crud? she runs fine just wont cold start. someone else said it was a bad cell in the bat but that is new and tests perfect. i am hoping that someone out there has had some similar issues and can point me in the right direction. please email me here or at my aol.
thank you all,
:???:dusty:???:

88 Jeep,I assume it is carbonated.Check to see if the choke is working properly.When cold it should close most of the way.Instead of porring gas down it try to turn the butterfly flap by hand while some one cranks the engine.Be carful of back fire and flames in the face.

X2, also check the fuel float bowl for a propper fuel level. If the bowl doesn't hold the fuel due to a leak, the initial start after sitting overnight will not have sufficient fuel to prime the intake with fuel.

My 93 had cold start issues it was running way to lean to get a good mix also check fuel pressure at the rail should be at least 31 psi if I remember correctly

88 cherokee is fuel injected. its a renix system. check your temp sensors and i would check pressure on the line. maybe your check valve is leaking back and the fuel is draining out of the rail over night

>wont cold start.:( if i put a small ammount of fuel in the air intake it fires right up and runs fine. no sputtering or anything, if i let it warm up it is perfect, you can turn it off and start it back up just fine. but if it gets cold it wont start again.

(good info gets good answers...garbage in/garbage out)

off the bat, that tells me
1. the electric load of starter amps and sparker is good
2. you don't smell raw gas and it hits on the cheater dose so it's not flooding in the cold
and
3. compression is adequate.

that leaves lean on fuel in the cold start
it can be an iffy choke (enrichment on FI)

or possibly a renegade sneaky intake leak...and that can be any vacuum from the intake manifold mating surface to & including the front axle 4wd disconnect hoses/diaphram... if you have it on that.

Back