1988 XJ Exhaust

jeepcrazy5722

I have a 88 XJ, has a rough idle and stalls. Think it may be a clogged CAT. I want to put a new system in, that sounds good, improves power without busting the bank. Any ideas??

Thanks

yes, replace the cat and then find the appropriate flowmaster muffler and simply replace just that. should be all said and done for around $200 if you can do your own welding. won't give you a whole lot of performace, but will fix your problem and give you a little sound

I bought the DynoMax cat back from Summit and I'm quiet happy with it. Didn't break the bank, was easy to put on and isn't too loud. Has a very nice rummble.

I have a 88 XJ, has a rough idle and stalls. Think it may be a clogged CAT. I want to put a new system in, that sounds good, improves power without busting the bank. Any ideas??

Thanks
I doubt it's the catalytic converter. When they go bad, performance suffers as the engine/exhaust heat up and the catalyst expands, slowly clogging the exhaust. A bad converter will not cause a rough idle and intermittent stalling.

More likely clogged injectors or something else

Have you checked for cracked exhaust manifold, Intake / Exh leaks, Clogged and restricted Injectors, Dirty or bad TB or TPS? Also, Look at the spark plugs, they will tell a lot about any fuel or ignition problems.

Clogged cat and muffler generally bog down performance a little, but do not directly cause poor idle.

A better cat and Dynomax, Magnaflow, or even Flowmaster + intake do wake up Jeep 4.0L pretty nice, and can be done pretty cheap; but won't fix rough idle or running issues.

Back