chevy 350

jeeptjon37's

OK i know that that mod jp is going to be annoyed but is a 350 a good idea in a jeep? Theres tons of articles so i don't need info. Is there a snorkel for it or do i have to buy a dodge ram snorkel? (not saying that a ram has a 350) So would i have to buy a truck snorkel for my jeep?

thanks,
Tom
:shades::shades::shades::shades::shades::shades:

:bomb::bomb::bomb:

:cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry:

350 is awesome. Use a jeep snorkel just need to get creative under tge hood. Sbc is tge way to go.

Sorry about my spelling. Still have troubles with the touch screen.

Jester32 said:
Sorry about my spelling. Still have troubles with the touch screen.

Oh no problem my phone is hard to type on.

So about the chevy. What would you guys think it should cost. Work and all. The transmission included. Around $3000 or am I crazy??

I did mine for about 1500 but had a strong engine and trans. Mine was in an xj as well so i needed a really expensive radiator. All other jeep swaps are much easier. You can get a good small block for around 1500 from a wrecker. I would try for a 96 - 98 vortec. Better heads. Roller cam. Easy electronics to swap to keep fuel injection. Trans could come from same truck would have overdrive or you could find a rebuilt th-350 for about 400 bucks. Much shorter as well and they are tough. Options are unlimited. A great resource is novak adapters. They have a great tech library. Easy to use website as well.

A built AMC V8 is cheaper than that rubbish adapters. Except in a ZJ, TJ or XJ it's bone stock too.

I'm looking to do this upgrade soon. I'm still trying to figure out which motor to go with and where to find a snorkle kit for it. What would you all suggest LT1, LS1, or 5.3L vortec? I have the 5.3 in my 2004 Silverado and its awesome. I do plan to use an adapter for the AX15 trans.

Any words of wisdome would be great. Thanks!

I would go with the 5.3 if you can get one. Wicked platform. We have done two and one is making 422 go and 400 ft lbs of torque and still getting 19 mpg all we did was a cam swap and a custom tune. Idles smooth and torque comes on very strong at 2300 rpm. Next in line would be the 5.7 vortec. Very dependable engine. Decent power and mileage. I would stay away from the lt1. The ls1 would be cool but price goes up.

I would go with the 5.3 if you can get one. Wicked platform. We have done two and one is making 422 go and 400 ft lbs of torque and still getting 19 mpg all we did was a cam swap and a custom tune. Idles smooth and torque comes on very strong at 2300 rpm. Next in line would be the 5.7 vortec. Very dependable engine. Decent power and mileage. I would stay away from the lt1. The ls1 would be cool but price goes up.

Thanks, I've bee so excited to start this project.

Jester, I tried PM-ing you but I'm too new. I found a complete 5.3L Vortec with 130K for $900 and a 5 month warranty. Since you have done a few swaps you will be more informative than what I am now. I plan on buying an adapter for my AX15 Trans do you know if my current clutch will bolt up wit the 5.3?

Anybody else with insight is welcome to chime in as well. Thanks in advance.

Nice that's a good price. I would read the instructions with the adapter. It will list any parts you will need. And can save. Any swaps I have done I used the 4l80 trans.

Nice that's a good price. I would read the instructions with the adapter. It will list any parts you will need. And can save. Any swaps I have done I used the 4l80 trans.

I really want to stay with a manual because I'm on a budget and I have an almost brand new AX-15. As of right now it looks like I will need a bellhousing for the 5.3 Vortec a fly wheel and new clutch (again I have an almost new Centerforce Duel friction clutch I woul like to try to use to keep my end cost down).

But if I have to scrap that idea how much longer is the 4l80, how much do the cost (approx) and what transfer case did you go with? Also how much patch work did you have to do to the trans hump?

Has anybody done a swap and kept the AX-15/ clutch with there motor swap? I will call the company with the adapter to see if they have any insight as well. Thanks again for any and all help.

I would look into Novak adapters. If I was swapping into a jeep I would use a 4l65. It's almost the same length as a th 350 and you can get the t case to trans adapters. The 4l80 is a big transmission use it In my race cars. Novak makes adapters to the ax15. I would check them out to.

I have a chev 350ci and 350 trans. in a cj-7. It was already in it when I bought it but they did not finish it. They made a cross member and tried to use the chev transfer case and they could not get the front drive shaft in past the trans oil pan. I went to novak and they sell the conversion kit and tell you what you need to know about it. Great site. I have other cj-7 with a 4.2 so I am going to get the cross member and dana 300 transfer case from it and get it done soon with the conversion parts from novak. I love my 350. Easy if you have to work on (not very often) and all you have to do is bump the key to crank it. Sounds good and lots of power. It also has power breaks and steering. I love it and drive it every day.

I have been to the Novak site several times as well as had a few phone conversations. Both the website and employees are very knowledgeable. I have actually though about selling my ax-15 trans and buying a muncie trans. I could then buy the adapter for my transfer case and be good to go.

i have an ls1 sitting on an engine stand in the back of my garage been wanting to drop it in an old muscle car problem is i have no muscle car maybe cause i put all my time and cash in my jeep lol

Go 5.3L and never look back, also I would not recommend the AX15 dehind the 5.3L, it will live a very short life. for ease of installation, look for a 700R4. if you want a little better milage and the hassel is screwing with computers, 4l60e, 4l65e etc.. If you MUST have a manual, look for the NV4500, it will cost you up front, but you will have a bullet proof 3 speed with an over drive plus a granny low gear (5 gears total)

The 5.3 also shares many components with an LS series motor because... wait for it... it is a LS series motor.

With a simple cam swap and some fuel delivery tweeks in the ECM, 5.3's can make well north of 450 hp. There was an article in Hotrod not too long ago where they put twin turbo's on what they thought was a stock 5.3, made well over 1000 hp at something like 20# of boost. they made over 50 dyno pulls, decided to pull the oil pan and inspect the bottom end, they ran the castings and revealed that they had a 4.8L these motors are stupid strong and reliable.

Go 5.3L and never look back, also I would not recommend the AX15 dehind the 5.3L, it will live a very short life. for ease of installation, look for a 700R4. if you want a little better milage and the hassel is screwing with computers, 4l60e, 4l65e etc.. If you MUST have a manual, look for the NV4500, it will cost you up front, but you will have a bullet proof 3 speed with an over drive plus a granny low gear (5 gears total)

The 5.3 also shares many components with an LS series motor because... wait for it... it is a LS series motor.

With a simple cam swap and some fuel delivery tweeks in the ECM, 5.3's can make well north of 450 hp. There was an article in Hotrod not too long ago where they put twin turbo's on what they thought was a stock 5.3, made well over 1000 hp at something like 20# of boost. they made over 50 dyno pulls, decided to pull the oil pan and inspect the bottom end, they ran the castings and revealed that they had a 4.8L these motors are stupid strong and reliable.

Thanks fot the input.

Back