Good place to find a turn-key 350?

Buck hour

I have a 77 cj7 that is begging for a great engine. But there are thousands of companies and websites. Any one here with experience in this?

ha ha ha, i feel the same way about chevy.

as far as where to buy a turn key motor, the best place to ask that would probably be on a chevy related forum. someone here will probably be able to help but to find the best info, a chevy place would be better.

you know sbc 350s are a dime a dozen and you can probably find one local and in good shape for less then you are going to pay for one from a company?

I recommend finding a low mile vortec motor and building for your application. Most crate motors are built performance oriented. Big cams lots of compression etc. Gmpp has some nice ones but pricey. For a jeep you want stump pulling torque as well as something that will make ok power in higher revs for mud etc. All depends on your rig as to the motor you pick.

for all the talk and hype chevy guys make over hte 350, it felt just like a 302 and 305 when i got a truck that had one. it didn't roast the tires or pull any better then the smaller displacement v8s.

i had an 85 f150 with a 302 that would light hte tires up all the way through the intersection and pull two tons like nothing. then i had an 88 c1500 with a 305 that would smoke the tires a little and pull one ton with a little work. then i got a beautiful restored 79 heavy half gmc with a 350 and it acted just like a 305. it ran great and would smoke the tires a little but it felt just like a 305 and neither chevy engine smoked the tires or pulled like the 302 did.

i could never figure the hype out over the sbc 350. i will take a 302 any day of hte week over the smaller chevy v8s just from the experience i had with the different motors in my personal trucks. i used them all while i did plumbing so they weren't just play trucks either. the ford was a real puller compared to the chevies. i had to go get the ford to pull hte 88 chevy up a steep incline once when i had a bit more then one ton on the trailer. that poor 305 isn't a towing motor, at all. it runs great and is just as reliable as the 350 and 302 but is not a puller

and you can get a fuel injected 302 from a late 80s to early 90s mustang for cheap because those cars are so plentiful. shoot, there are late 80s to early 90s f150 all over craigslist for less then 1k and they share the engine and transmission from the mustang, usually. then you get wiring harnesses and everything with it, fuel pumps, everything.

i am sure you can get an 88 to mid 90s chevy for the same price though, if you specifically want a chevrolet motor.

It all depends on gearing and everything. Chevys respond very well to a few add ons a cam some vortec heads and some 9-1 compression hyperutectic pistons and you are well into 350 hp and 400 ft lb of torque all for around 2000 bucks.

i know the vortec motors are different though. i was just talking the tbi and carb engines. those vortec engines are impressive for power. my brother had a 4.3 vortec in an s-10 pick up. WOWWWW, was that sucker badass in stock form.

Ya i love my vortec. 98 chev 580,000 on the odometer. The tbi were pretty weak. Same with most carbed.

You say your CJ is "begging for a great engine" to that I have to ask..... to back up YOUR statement, if you are looking for a great engine then why are you wanting a Chevy SB???? I have 2 better answers; 318 or 360 MOPAR!

Junk yard Look for a 350m.Dime a dozen in the junk yard.

Jasco has a turn key 350 2 bolt motor that puts out 330hp and 380 torque that comes with a 100,000 mile warranty for 1800 plus core charge.

Jasco has a turn key 350 2 bolt motor that puts out 330hp and 380 torque that comes with a 100,000 mile warranty for 1800 plus core charge.
I'm kinda partial to the chevy 2 4cyl and mine is puting out about the same hp as that 350:shades:

oh god, not acronyms.

chevrolet
cheap
heap
every
vavle
rattles
oil
leaks
every
time

ha ha ha