Dana axle identification

Stalefishsk8er

I recently bought two axles a front and rear dana axles I'm assuming that there Dana 35s from what the guy told me but can anyone tell me how to identify them since they came out of a jeep cherokee

Front is a Dana 30. Rear is either a Dana35, Dana44, or Chrysler 8.25 axle. Depends a lot on year of jeep, options, etc. Put those axle models into Google images and you'll see distinctive characteristics of each.

I'm just assuming they are what the guy said, these axles came out of an XJ Laredo model but do you know if the rear axle gear ratio is the same as the Chrysler 8.25" axles?

The gear ratios can vary depending on what engine and transmission came in the jeep, not dependent on what model axle is used. 3.55 gears are most common and found beneath the 4.0L auto Cherokees.

Here is a photo from rustys

Attachments

• axle_id_01.gif
    axle_id_01.gif
    34.4 KB · Views: 105,458
Also I did some research on Dana's website and found out there the Dana 35c so is the 35c stronger then a stock Dana 35 axle?

All the c means is its c clip style.... Both are equally crappy

Actually what Dana did was send the parts to Chrysler to assemble which makes the c stand for custom since all the Dana 35s are c clipped

what year were they out of? that will help too.

also, just look at those diff covers. the front is always the d30. the rear is the one you have to compare

its probably a d30 front (always is in front) and a d35 in back. i think the d44 only came in 87 or so xj and very very rarely in others and then the 8.25 started in something like 93 or 94. if i remember right.

why are you buying other axles for your 95 cherokee? is it 2x4 instead of 4x4 or something?

Actually what Dana did was send the parts to Chrysler to assemble which makes the c stand for custom since all the Dana 35s are c clipped

87-89 YJ's are non-c-clip D35 rears. I do not know if 84-89 xj's are equally equipt, but I always was under the impression that the c stood for C-clip

D44 in XJ's was available in 87-89 in XJ's with the factory Tow package. YJ's did come with D44 factory the same years but were not available in the US, they were available in Canada though, but are very very hard to come by, easier finding a J truck D60 rear with semi floating 35 spline shafts with a 6 on 5.5 bolt pattern.

I have a built up rear dana 44 in my yj and while doing a disc brake conversion I find that one axle shaft is a little longer than the other. I am thinking the short one goes on the driver's side as the ring gear is on that side. Can anyone clear this up for me.

Gary

Back