2.5 vs. 4.0

jeeptjon37's

So on youtube there was a video of a jeep with a 2.5 spinning in the snow. It looked like it had some power and was running the same tire size as I plan to run. So I know the 4.0 has 180 hp and I think 260 feet of torque but what does the 2.5 have??
Like how many horses or feet of torque?

Thanks,
Tom

about 115hp and who knows how much tq. depends on what year also though. the older ones were only like 90 hp or something.

are you in a hilly area of the country? i hear that if you are, you want the 4.0. i have only owned cherokees with the 2.5 so i cannot tell you how a wrangler is but the 2.5 in my cherokees and comanche where fine. all the wranglers i have owned have been 4.0

Hey there! I own a 99 TJ 135,000km with a 2.5l, about 115hp sounds about right, not sure on lb ft of torque. The 2.5l is lacking hwy power most definitely haha but as soon as I hit the mud, dirt, or any other surface other then pavement and slip into 4 high, it's got a ton of torque! I'm loving it, better fuel mileage as well:)

that was where my comanche had trouble too, on the highway. it had 31s and a 3" lift and was fine in town but on the highway, you better not need to speed or get good gas mileage

2.5L makes up it's power by running lower gears

I've been told that the 2.5 has a little more torque then the 4.0 and I haven't heard of a 4.0 with 265 ft lb of torque unless it's modified, my jeep with the 4.0 and an AEM brute force air intake has just about 200ft lbs the 2.5 is said to have a stock 206 ft lbs mind you this is stuff I have been told do not take it as a 100% answer. The 2.5 also has lower gears so it gives it a little more pep (4.10's) but I'm doing a couple upgrades to my jeep to give it that extra umphh! :p lol nothing big just ignition after cat maybe a cam maybe! But I might get it stroked for 2,000 and get great numbers out of it, and if you aren't happy with the 2.5's power 505 performance makes a great turbo kit that allows it to keep it's Low end torque but gives it better speed and passing power, that's if your looking to invest 3 grand but by that time I would just get a v8 sorry blabbering on my fault :p

I have a 97 TJ and it does have some performance mods under the hood, cold air intake, insulated air tube, 4.0L throttle body swap, custom throttle body spacer, bored out intake manifold, accel coil, accel 8mm wires, NGK plugs gapped at .037, magnaflow muffler, free flow catback. Factory 2.5L has about 120 to 130 HP and about 150 ft lbs of torque. With my current mods my estimated HP is 160 or so with 180 lbs of torque. I am currently happy with my power for now but then again I only run 31s on a 2 inch budget boost. If and when I run bigger lift and tires I would probably have to do a gear change to keep my power.

For only running 31's that isn't a bad set up, any bigger a Regear is nessicary, but you probably spent alot of money on those upgrades right?

I have a 97 TJ and it does have some performance mods under the hood, cold air intake, insulated air tube, 4.0L throttle body swap, custom throttle body spacer, bored out intake manifold, accel coil, accel 8mm wires, NGK plugs gapped at .037, magnaflow muffler, free flow catback. Factory 2.5L has about 120 to 130 HP and about 150 ft lbs of torque. With my current mods my estimated HP is 160 or so with 180 lbs of torque. I am currently happy with my power for now but then again I only run 31s on a 2 inch budget boost. If and when I run bigger lift and tires I would probably have to do a gear change to keep my power.

and i would think maybe 10hp, not 30 hp from those mods. those are good mods but i really would have a hard time believing you got that much power from them.

if you do, that is badass though

I beleive it, cause he upped his ignition set up and gapped his plugs, so by forcing more air into the engine and getting a bigger spark he earns all that power easy, problem is alot of people jam more air into the engine but do play with the fuel ratio and spark so they dont get any of the full benefits and air intake alone nets and 5th and same with the throttle body and cat back earns about 10 those are real figures, manufacturers always claim much more though

I'd like to see the dyno runs on any proclamed mod improvement. Minimum of 5 runs and after the PCM has a chance to adjust to the changes. Some things do show improvements for short periods. Then the PCM adjusts the air fuel ratios, and timing.

You want more change gears, or swap in a larger engine.

Just my opinion.

Yea I am telling you my jeep keeps up with a stock 4.0L on highway. Keep in mind I also keep my wieght down to a minimum. You know the power to wieght ratio. To add to this I insulate my cold air coming in. I am getting ambient air from outside the engine bay. There is another formula for every 10 degrees in temp drop equals 1 HP. I think? I forget how many horses it takes to move 100 lbs. Anyway she runs great for 31s and 3:10 gears for now.

You should have 4.10 gears for a 4 cyl and for every 100lbs it's 7 horsepower to move it i believe that was the ratio I read somewhere.

Yeah somthing like that. I also try to keep wind drag down. Such as round tube bumper instead of flat. Smaller size fog lights up front and tilted licenses plate. Trying to squeeze every bit. Works for me. Also trying to decide on which rock sliders I will use, body mount or frame mount. Some wiegh up to 70lbs and others at about 50lbs a pair. We will see time will tell. Yeah some companys are even using lighter weigh sliders and skids. Check out savvy off road.

Yeah, bigger tires, bumpers, rock sliders, lights, winch, spare tire, all that adds alot of weight so keep it down as much as you can. Best suggestion dodge the chilli dogs.

Yeah you got that right. I would like to get a winch, but what am I gonna do lug it around and use it 2, 3, 6 times per year. I am just gonna get me a heavy duty comalong by weyth. Also as far as my front bumper I just bobbed it, meaning cut the factory front bumper with angled ends, just about 4in out side the tow hooks. I do not plan to hit anything. I rather run over a rock or whatever with my tires and not hit the bumper. As far as the rear yeah I will probably get a bumper that mounts closer to the body. Or something like the ones at TandT customs. I do have a steering skid by kilby. I will probably will get some medium duty diff protection by rugged ridge. As far as sliders still undecided, body mount or frame mount. O yeah hear is more wieght a gas tank skid. I believe savvy offroad makes a heavy duty aluminum. Maybe one from rokmen, they claim its only 4 lbs over stock. Man need some funds.

quicksand97 said:
Yeah right I sould. Gotta get a real lift first and toss this BB. O still looking for more power. I am debating a electric fan?

Why not stroke it

Back