How can i get better gas mileage

Welcome to the Z. Where abouts around StL are you? I'm on the right side of the river.

As for mileage, the biggest benefits are having the correct amount of air in your tires, and slowing down your top speed by 5 or 10mph will show significant gains.

Do you have the 4cyl or 6cyl engine?

Don't drive it :funny: lol
Proper tire inflation
lighten up on the heavy foot/slow down
tire size
gearing
tune up
loose any and all dead weight

Generally speaking, the best bang for the buck is a cat-back exhaust. Jim Allen says so and his word is good enough for me. I put a Gibson cat-back on my Sport Trac and picked up 3 mpg on the highway IF I keep it at 70 mph or less, city mpg is no different. A header on a Jeep might pick up a teeny bit more. I haven't put a CAI on the Jeep yet, but while the factory airbox looks to be good for fording streams it also appears quite restrictive. I plan on getting an Airaid soon and after that a Banks cat-back and maybe the header.

Otherwise just keep it in good tune, synthetic fluids everywhere (oil, transmission, t-case, axles). Smaller tires are better. A/T's have less rolling resistance than M/T's. When I went from the OE all-seasons to A/T's on my Trac I lost 1 mpg. Don't forget an alignment too, being out of alignment can cause extra drag. A lift will make for more wind resistance and frictional losses in the driveline and less mpg's.

Some of the aftermarket computer tuners offer an mpg tune. Bottom line, there is nothing that will make a huge difference and you want to get back what you spend. For example, the Banks exhaust will cost about $280 and the Airaid is $200, so how long until I save that in gas?

O2 sensors too. I had two new ones put in the Jeep last week after having to get it towed because it wouldn't stay running. They were shot but the check engine light never came on. Seems to run much better now and we'll see if the mpg improves.

That's a very expensive line up for a small gain. I think first you have to identify what your running and if there is a problem. If there is a problem it's unlikely these will correct the problem.

I used to have a pretty heavy foot (70+, usually +) but since the raise in gas prices ive slowed it down to about 55 or 60 and have gained about 4 mpg if there is no headwind. It really helps to just go slower.

Buy a civic and park the jeep.... :p Kidding of course, I would never suggest anyone do that. =]

Buy a civic and park the jeep.... :p Kidding of course, I would never suggest anyone do that. =]
Couple years ago when I opened a second office of my company 30 miles away, I bought a (very) used Neon for $1300 to save on gas since I was dropping $150 a week on gas for my truck. Within 6 months I spent more than I paid for the car on repairs.

Yup, once the jeep knows you have another car, its going to cost you. The jeep will talk crap to the car all night long and the car will break down from anxiety

You're driving a vehicle with the aerodynamics of a brick. Trying to get 'good' mileage is a fools errand. Better is possible, like getting a set of street tires for off the trail, removing hard tops, doors, rear seat, etc as well as things like a winch, big friggin tire/gas can/jack/water/rocking chair/dog carrier, roof rack, or anything else that people like to bolt all over the outside of their rigs for the morning commute. Oh, and like someone else said, go slower and keep your foot out of it. Like below 2000 rpms, always.

IF all the intake & exhaust & chip type mods do anything, they are still a poor ROI due to the insane prices.

i personally cut a whole in my flooring. bought some new shoes. stuck my legs through the floorboards. put her in neutral and use the legs flintstones style :grin:haha no but just slow down, maybe some A/T or street tires. and praying that gas prices will go down always helps lol

draftman said:
i personally cut a whole in my flooring. bought some new shoes. stuck my legs through the floorboards. put her in neutral and use the legs flintstones style :grin:haha no but just slow down, maybe some A/T or street tires. and praying that gas prices will go down always helps lol

Smart ass.. I love this forum..

flintstonescar-1.jpg

YABBA DABBA DOO

did you up-grade to running shoes? get an extra 20 feet with a new set of Nike's. Street treads of course.

Has anyone tried the GForce chip? Listed at $399.00 but can be bought direct for $69. THey claim 35 HP and 3 to 4 MPG gain. Thanks for any responce.

You're driving a vehicle with the aerodynamics of a brick. Trying to get 'good' mileage is a fools errand. Better is possible, like getting a set of street tires for off the trail, removing hard tops, doors, rear seat, etc as well as things like a winch, big friggin tire/gas can/jack/water/rocking chair/dog carrier, roof rack, or anything else that people like to bolt all over the outside of their rigs for the morning commute. Oh, and like someone else said, go slower and keep your foot out of it. Like below 2000 rpms, always.

IF all the intake & exhaust & chip type mods do anything, they are still a poor ROI due to the insane prices.
I agree with shedding pounds, JP magazine has a good article on the perfomance and MPG's gained by trimming the fat. I know thier is a formula for how much HP is gained by each lb lost. Their's probably one for MPG's per lb lost.

Back