Is this thingy supposed to move!!??

dirtybird

I have a 01 2wd Cherokee 4.0 I keep hearing a clunk noise over bumps. Changed the endlinks, sway bar bushings, and 4 shocks already. But if I roll under my jeep there's a bar that goes from one side to the other and I guess connect to the lower ball joints? I can rotate it easily by hand back and forth a good 1/4 inch. Is thos supposed to move like that? Makes a clunk sound too. Thanks.... Dirty

That sounds like your pan hard bar....it keeps your axle geometry true to the body.... answer is no...check the mounting points...see if a bolt fell out...

I looked over everything, seems all the bolts are there and tight or atleast rusted into place. Just wasn't sure if the ball joints are supposed to be able to move in a fore and aft motion. Looks like the same bar maybe the tie rods are connected to that go to the ball joints...... Not sure what to call it.

I looked over everything, seems all the bolts are there and tight or atleast rusted into place. Just wasn't sure if the ball joints are supposed to be able to move in a fore and aft motion. Looks like the same bar maybe the tie rods are connected to that go to the ball joints...... Not sure what to call it.

so it's not the pan hard bar...sounds like steering linkage...can you post a pic?

tjsteering28129-1.jpg

you still have that part as a 2wd model. that is what moves your wheels when you steer. it will twist a little because it is a ball joint.

my first thought on your issue was the sway bar. the rubber wears out on those mounts and then it makes a clunk when you hit bumps

Back