Cherokee Engine Swap: 2JZ-GTE

child9

I should be wrapping up this swap in the next couple of weeks. Ran into a neighbor on another forum and I decided to spread this to the other Jeep forums on the net.

www dot naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=1033211

Somebody is swapping a Supra engine into an XJ? if I recall thats the engine out of a 93'-02' Supra right?

Somebody is swapping a Supra engine into an XJ? if I recall thats the engine out of a 93'-02' Supra right?

It is equivalent. Technically speaking, it is out of a Japanese right hand drive Toyota Aristo, which is a right hand drive version of the Lexus GS300 used as cabs and what not in Japan. I buy "Supra" parts for it though, as they all bolt right on to the setup.

In it's stock form, the 2JZ-GTE is a 3.0L twin turbo I6 that is coupled (when with an auto trans) to an A340e automatic transmission. The A340e is a variant of the same transmission made by Aisin-Warner... coincidentally the Jeep AW4 is another variant. I had them taken apart, swapped some components, and now have an A340x :) that's a better version of the AW4 that bolts straight into the NP231 transfer case of my Cherokee... modified valve body...extra clutch packs... It is unique in the world. :)

Yeah, the open holes through the firewall and trans tunnel don't do much to stop the sound from the open downpipe from getting in. I can't wait for all the details either. :)

J-Spec OBD1 conversion to US-Spec OBDII conversion:

New MAF sensor and air filter setup physically installed.

SprintPhoto_bzx2la-1.jpg

SprintPhoto_dzx2la-1.jpg

SprintPhoto_czx2la-1.jpg

New injectors are bolted in, but I'm waiting for the proper injector plugs to continue. This pic is actually from before I swapped the rail. USDM injectors have purple plastic.

SprintPhoto_bcshfi-1.jpg

Middle fingers up to the EPA telling me "You can't do that, you should have asked us first."

Thank you. ObdII conversion nearing completion. :)

Middle fingers up to the EPA telling me "You can't do that, you should have asked us first."

Are you going to be able to make this street legal? I'd hope that if it produces less smog then the original there would be a way to make it legal.

I believe so. I am wrapping up the Obd2 conversion now, but I have a no fire condition. Troubleshooting now.

OBDII conversion complete. I had 4 codes, but all were related to devices that are no longer there. Resistors have been wired in and I will be clearing codes tomorrow. I expect more to show, since I still need to finish fabricating the exhaust and I don't have the rear OXY sensor wired to the new ecu yet.

Congrats. I've never taken on an engine swap - how many hours do you think you have in it so far?

@Terry: I do not know.

Down pipe and exhaust setup is built and complete.

Image09302012120815-1.jpg

I have one remaining code that a resistor will take care of, I'm expecting an O2 code to show up, and for some reason she won't idle now and is shifting REALLY hard. I'm on Supraforums and going through factory repair manuals (both volumes) for a solution. I've also received my 3 fan setup from Dirtbound. So close to legality and daily drivability now...

I've been really distracted with a Top Diesel project that sort of fell into my lap, and the race is this weekend, so it's hectic...however I did manage to get rid of the last Obd2 code and no longer have a CEL! Still need to wire in the rear O2 and fix a couple of safety inspection gigs. ANyway, some of you may be interested in the distraction I've been working on:

Rail096-1.jpg

69189_825012352017_388477735_n-1.jpg

More pics are here if anyone is interested:

Hamilton pictures by ckassem - Photobucket

Back