Aftermarket disc brakes

TrailRatedRN

Are aftermarket 'heavy duty' brakes going to make a difference in my stopping distance or last longer than factory ones? My brake pads r wearing thin on my 06 Tj unlimited. I have all disc. I offroad, mostly mud. I have a 4" lift w 33" tires. I've added a lot of steel, so with everything I've done, a few hundred lbs added I speculate. With all of these changes, will I benefit from an aftermarket brake?

I was in the same boat, except that my 2005 has drums in the rear. I've been using ceramic pads, and couldn't stop safely.

I've since upgraded to EBC yellow stuff brake pads and Centric rotors. After doing a bit of reading this appears to be the preferred combination. I've got a couple of thousand miles on them now, and I'm very happy. I'm able to stand on the brakes and hear the 33s screech to a halt now.

EBC Yellow Stuff Brake Pads - 75+ Reviews on EBC Yellow Performance Ceramic Brake Pads

Centric Premium Rotors, Centric Premium Brake Rotors, Centric Premium Replacement Rotors - Videos, Installations & Reviews

Now if you've got some money to spend, go with the Vanco upgrade:

powerbrakes hydroboosts vacuum boosters everything for your extreme braking needs

Nice Info. I have an all stock 04 Rubicon. Stops fine 4 now, but what I hate is all the brake dust that I get on the front alloy wheels... Did that stop with the change in rotors & pads?

Any set of ceramic pads should cut down on the dust quite a bit. The downside is the cheaper ones don't seem to stop as well (in my opinion).

Well did a thourough check today. Fronts look pretty good. Rears on the other hand were worn more than I figured, so it looks like Its rear brakes time.

The only way to upgrade your brakes to make stopping easier is to get a larger set of brakes which requires larger rotors and calipers. The difference between brake pads standard or ceramic is minimal as far as stopping distances are concerned. ceramic, last longer but you will notice less braking power when they are wet(or muddy). I just use napa gold lifetime warranty pads on mine. standard pads, nothing fancy.

Nice Info. I have an all stock 04 Rubicon. Stops fine 4 now, but what I hate is all the brake dust that I get on the front alloy wheels... Did that stop with the change in rotors & pads?
RudeDog, you can get what is called a dust cover(not sure who makes them). they fit between your wheels and the brakes in order to keep the brake dust off of your rims, but if you run in the mud, what is a little brake dust?

Are aftermarket 'heavy duty' brakes going to make a difference in my stopping distance or last longer than factory ones? My brake pads r wearing thin on my 06 Tj unlimited. I have all disc. I offroad, mostly mud. I have a 4" lift w 33" tires. I've added a lot of steel, so with everything I've done, a few hundred lbs added I speculate. With all of these changes, will I benefit from an aftermarket brake?

I have dimpled and slotted brakes from Perf Brake. With no complaints,however I do not have a lot of heavy add-on parts. I read a lot about Black Magic brakes.
BlackMagicBrakes.com

Okay, torn the rears down and go figure not as bad as I thought. Guess I saw the beveled (leading end edge), saw it was thinner, and thought the pads were low. Sanded/Brake cleaned all rotor surfaces & pads and put it back together for now. While doing this I noticed that the left rotor looked a "little" greasy.. mainly the inner area where the parking brake shoes ride. I'm thinking maybe an axle seal is begining to seep? 62K on jeep. Oddly enough my buddy had to replace his @ 60ish k miles... Sound normal @ these miles?, or not? Also, since it was nice warm sunday (and apparently I had way too much time on my hands) I ended up painting the calipers (Red) to match the body.... Prep/paint is a habit as I drive a lot on the ocean/coast where salt air is nasty, so I try to keep paint on stuff in order to stay ahead of the rust. Sound dumb?

I have used NAPA Ceramix pads on several of our vehicles, the pedal feel is great and there is virtually no dust. They also have an "Ultra Premium" rotor, they cost $75+ but they are the only rotors that my wife can't destroy in a year on her car. I had the previous set of those cut three times and they were still legal. LOL.

Okay, torn the rears down and go figure not as bad as I thought. Guess I saw the beveled (leading end edge), saw it was thinner, and thought the pads were low. Sanded/Brake cleaned all rotor surfaces & pads and put it back together for now. While doing this I noticed that the left rotor looked a "little" greasy.. mainly the inner area where the parking brake shoes ride. I'm thinking maybe an axle seal is begining to seep? 62K on jeep. Oddly enough my buddy had to replace his @ 60ish k miles... Sound normal @ these miles?, or not? Also, since it was nice warm sunday (and apparently I had way too much time on my hands) I ended up painting the calipers (Red) to match the body.... Prep/paint is a habit as I drive a lot on the ocean/coast where salt air is nasty, so I try to keep paint on stuff in order to stay ahead of the rust. Sound dumb?
The axle seal is normal "wear and tear" for the mileage, can't expect things to last forever or all of the replacement parts companies would be out of business. I always do the detailing paint whenever i tear something apart. Just shows that you care and take "pride in your ride". Keep up the good maintenance. Happy Wheelin'.

I painted my calipers red, too. Not to match the jeep, to match the accenting I did. Well, not so much accenting, but the paint left over from finishing the Solid diff covers I got for Xmas. Lol

I have dimpled and slotted brakes from Perf Brake. With no complaints,however I do not have a lot of heavy add-on parts. I read a lot about Black Magic brakes.
BlackMagicBrakes.com

+1 I also replaced my factory brakes with dimpled/slotted rotors from brakeperformance.com a while back and they have been through a lot, lol. From smoking hot to fully submerged in some murky water. They still haven't warped or anything so knock on wood. Although, they do have a lifetime warranty phew!

Ssbc makes an aftermarket setup for jeeps, and i found a forum where they take dual piston calipers off of fords with the advance trac for a cheaper upgrade that is at every local parts store. Another thing to look into perhaps.

I got new rotors for the front slotted them and also dimpled the. I staggered them as slots, dimples etc. it works fine for me. I have heard that it will not be a good idea for rock imbuing but I don't do that so I am not ure how it will work for that.

Back