Winch

If you're a 4x4 club owner, you understand the situation at this time of years, and have a lot of ideas about the winch in the market. You may consider to see a new brand you never heard (Wongs). Possibly you will get a surprise. And then post your reviews about it on the forum. Pros or cons.

If you are a professional mechanic you use SnapOn tools, for a home mechanic, Craftsman may be good enough. The same with the winch question as far as I am concerned. How often are you going to pull your self out of the mud or gett stuck in some rocks? How large budget do you have. Of course we all like the best there is. But an we afford it ir do we need it? In most cases we pay too much for brand name just because slick advertising. If you look at some products, they are the same, made in the same factory but because they are geared up to a specific market, they can concentrate their advertising to that market and capture it. That is when the name becomes the thing to have. In most cases the same thing, a much fancier sticker..... I have built a trolley to lift vises and so on over my Haas CHC mill and got tired of a chain pull winch so I went to Harbor Freight and purchased a electric winch (110 AC). I lift lots of heavy things with it and it has NEVER failed me once. I lift a over 500 lbs rotary table that is worth a lot more than my TJ and I never gor any problems. I am not endorsing any product just stating my experience with that winch. If I were a repo man, I wouldn't go with a slower winch...... But if I got stuck in the mud I wouldn't care if it took me 3 minutes or 5 minutes to pull my self out. Where the heck an I going? I am stuck any way...... Just my opinion and if anyone desagree with me, Please accept my apologies.
Big wave to you all!

I also have the warn xd9000i. The only reason I bought it is a buddy was selling his jeep and gave me the winch for half value. I do not think it outperforms any other maker. When choosing pulling weight, I also keep in mind that I have added weight - skids, bumpers, tires, etc. Furthermore, if I am frame deep in mud, the mud is increasing resistance because of the suction created during extraction. With my LJ, I sometimes wonder if 9000 is enough, but it has worked well thus far. I also use synthetic line.

a tv show called power block did a show on harbor freight tools and stuff. most of their winches that sell for $399.00 would cost $1200.00 for a warn or milemarker. even though it is made in china , they say it is the best of the chinese made stuff. i've no practical experience, just passing a thought . I'm tempted to try one but have too many irons in the fire to spend the money yet.

I ran a HF on a 97Tj for years & it always got me out of whatever I got into. I never uswed it to pull others, only self rescue both with & without pulley & did the job perfectly. I would buy another one.

If you are a professional mechanic you use SnapOn tools, for a home mechanic, Craftsman may be good enough. The same with the winch question as far as I am concerned. How often are you going to pull your self out of the mud or gett stuck in some rocks? How large budget do you have. Of course we all like the best there is. But an we afford it ir do we need it? In most cases we pay too much for brand name just because slick advertising. If you look at some products, they are the same, made in the same factory but because they are geared up to a specific market, they can concentrate their advertising to that market and capture it. That is when the name becomes the thing to have. In most cases the same thing, a much fancier sticker..... I have built a trolley to lift vises and so on over my Haas CHC mill and got tired of a chain pull winch so I went to Harbor Freight and purchased a electric winch (110 AC). I lift lots of heavy things with it and it has NEVER failed me once. I lift a over 500 lbs rotary table that is worth a lot more than my TJ and I never gor any problems. I am not endorsing any product just stating my experience with that winch. If I were a repo man, I wouldn't go with a slower winch...... But if I got stuck in the mud I wouldn't care if it took me 3 minutes or 5 minutes to pull my self out. Where the heck an I going? I am stuck any way...... Just my opinion and if anyone desagree with me, Please accept my apologies.
Big wave to you all!

exactly my thoughts. thats why i bought a tractor supply winch

I'd also keep an eye on Craigslist. It's not uncommon to find old Warn 8274 winches on CL that look beat, but still work great. It's the fastest winch on the market, is rated at 8k lbs, and is supposed to be an easy rebuild. The last few I've seen have had asking prices around $400, but have all been too far away to take advantage of.

They probably look better on an old CJ, but considering the cost of a new M8274 from Warn, they can be a bargain

a tv show called power block did a show on harbor freight tools and stuff. Most of their winches that sell for $399.00 would cost $1200.00 for a warn or milemarker. Even though it is made in china , they say it is the best of the chinese made stuff. I've no practical experience, just passing a thought . I'm tempted to try one but have too many irons in the fire to spend the money yet.

don't buy chinese!... Don't care how good anyone says their stuff is, its chinese and its killing our country!!!

WARN is the best out there and the 8274 is a true prize, pick up one on ebay or elsewhere, clean it up, rebuild it if need be, and YOU have the BEST!..

Back