Winch

MattMayTJ

I'm looking to get a winch for the wrangler what would be a good brand and how many lbs should I be looking for any suggestions would be great thanks.

Oh ya and I have the 2.5 liter four banger don't know if that effects what I should be looking for

I have a 2.5 aswell. Now what kind of stuff do u wana use this winch for? How much does ur jeep weigh?

It's all stock except tiers so I'm assuming it ways as much as a regular TJ then as far as usage I just want to be able to winch my self and other people out of mudd or what ever they get stuck in

MattMayTJ said:
It's all stock except tiers so I'm assuming it ways as much as a regular TJ then as far as usage I just want to be able to winch my self and other people out of mudd or what ever they get stuck in

I was looking at a few and I was looking at 8k or 12k. But u would rather have more than less I think. But all comes down to how Much u wana spend

MattMayTJ said:
No more that 700 but the smaller engine doesn't effect it at all? will I need to upgrade anything

I'm no expert but I don't think the winch will hook up to the stock bumber. Also the winch will draw power from the battery so and upgraded battery and alternator wouldn't hurt. I winch proudly weights like 50 to maybe 100lb so engine shouldn't matter

It isnt motor size or alternator power output that determines your winch. Your 98 weighs around 3092-3832 lbs depending on transmission and other add ons. General rule of thumb is you double the pulling weight and round up to the nearest winch. Putting a 9500-12,000lb winch on is just hood decoration. Your jeep without tail hooking to another vehicle can safely pull 8000lbs without dragging itself into the mud puddle. Now using a pulley can increase pulling strength, how many wire wraps you have on the drum, ect ect but for self rescue and general use most CJ,YJ, and TJ's need no more than a 8000lbs winch.

a tv show called power block did a show on harbor freight tools and stuff. most of their winches that sell for $399.00 would cost $1200.00 for a warn or milemarker. even though it is made in china , they say it is the best of the chinese made stuff. i've no practical experience, just passing a thought . I'm tempted to try one but have too many irons in the fire to spend the money yet.

Warm m8000 is a great winch for about 699 can. So prob 399 us lol. I have a superwinch lp8500 on the cheap Cherokee and it's been great for 3 yrs and now just had a few prob with solinoid but kinda my fault. Cracked it when I pushed over a tree.

But if you save up for 2 more months. The warn xp9.5 has been the best and fasted winch I've ever owned. It has crazy line speeds and a crazy duty cycle near 95 %. Most cheaper winches are about 35 %. So they will last long time if you can put up with 3 min pull time and ten min cool down time.

i run a smittybuilt 8000 for five years. used many times, for many things. never a problem,and at a 399 dollar price, i am very satisfied

Here food for thought: I recently had all the same questions choosing a winch...

My 99TJ weighs in at approx 3800lbs, as mentioned before take your jeeps weight and X by 2 =8000lb winch is ideal. That'll get you out of pretty much any jam. The reason for a winch that's good for double the weight, is simply when you or someone else are stuck in a mud pit, on a hill, etc, is that physics adds more pull to your line.

Your stock alternator is plenty good, I had a 880CC Amp battery and upgraded to a 1300CC amp, just for shits and giggles.

You can most defiantly bolt a winch plate to your stock bumper, use a good grade bolt though! Don't want that to be falling off when you need it most...

I bought a smittybuilt XRC8000lb winch, cost was $680 Canadian $, it is a little slow with line speed, but when your stuck it gets the job done and then some! You can buy a pulley (aka "snatch block") and that will come close to double your pulling power, but take care when using it, your jeep tjs frame is only good for 10,000lbs of pull.

Best of luck, hope this was able to help you out, and as always when winching take proper caution ! :)

Attachments

• image-1446589947.png
    image-1446589947.png
    955.9 KB · Views: 330

For about a year and a half I have been running a Rugged Ridge 8500 lb I paid $300 for from Quadratec (you can find them with cheaper shipping), I have winched everything from Jeeps to full size Ram Chargers to new and old FJs and never had a problem, you can also get 18k lbs snatch blocks from 4wheelparts.com for $25, I have 2 of them and they work perfectly and are greaseable. There is a huge amount of information out there when it comes to winches, I know this wont be popular, but it has to be said, winches are mostly made by the same companies and then badged by different companies, so a lot of the differences in price are the premium for the name on it.

If I were buying another winch I would look at Badlands from Harbor Frieght, yeah, I know, it goes against logic but a jeep magazine just did a very comprehensive test and while the first Badlands they got didnt work out of the box, the next one they got was one of the only ones still working at the end of the testing, and HF usualy stands behind their warrantees out of habit lol.

With a stock bumper about any winch plate will work, if you are going to replace the bumper any time soon, try to plan ahead when buying a plate and get the raised winch plate that works with most aftermarket bumpers that dont have an intergrated mount.

I just mounted a Smittybilt XRC8 and it works real good, I did pick up a snatch block though if you have a tough pull in sticky mud it can save the winch motor. Catch it at the right time and you can score free shipping too!

i just got one from tractor supply. igot a light weight as it will only be for moving brush and pulling stuff like that, 4500lbs. they have snatch blocks for cheap too so i got one of those also, to go with the winch. now i have to buy a winch plate to mount it though.

Jester32 said:
Warm m8000 is a great winch for about 699 can. So prob 399 us lol. I have a superwinch lp8500 on the cheap Cherokee and it's been great for 3 yrs and now just had a few prob with solinoid but kinda my fault. Cracked it when I pushed over a tree.

I have the M8000 on my zj. Has not failed me once.

-94 grand cherokee Ltd 5,2L V8, 2" lift, offroad fender., vinsj

BlaketheSnake said:
I've had a Warn XD9000i for nearly 14 years....never once has it failed me. :D

I have a M8000, and I love it :)

-94 grand cherokee Ltd 5,2L V8, 2" lift, offroad fender., vinsj

I have mounted front and rear the MM 12,000 lb. and they have worked really well and the first time I've had them front and rear on any of the Jeeps I've had. With VEX, I've had since 1990 and rebuilt from a total, and have shipped it all over the planet and it and the winches have worked out real well. The 1/2" line is super heavy on the winches and works really well in hoisting and pulling both me in and out of jams and everyone else.

MM also have a great winding app for their solenoids and have never had any trouble with them at all. I use both front and rear pretty often with no errors.

Robert

Back