inline 6 strokers?

Poop3000

i've just joined this forum, as i'm looking to sell my own rig. but that's not why i'm posting here in this section. i was browsing and noticed that in the first two pages of this "jeep performance" section, there is no discussion (that i could find by the titles, anyway) of stroked 6 cylinder jeep engines.

it just really struck me, because the inline six jeep engine is the perfect platform for a low end torque monster, and the torque achieved by stroker combos of these engines is legendary with offroaders... jeep guys and non jeep guys.

in an age of hemi swaps and 350 swaps and then all the other discussions regarding suitability of the 2.5 (not for me, no offense), i'm shocked not to see more praises sung here of stroked inline sixes.

am i missing something?

nobody has any experience with a stroker? well, for anyone looking for more power from their jeep, there is no single mod that will produce more reliable power. and oh, the power. better torque than a built 350 v8 swap, and it's available right off the line. you don't have to wind the engine up before it makes power. it pulls like a turboed diesel, but even quicker off the line. offroad, you'll crawl effortlessly over the steepest of obstacles, your wheels determined to turn without you having to stomp on the gas and spin 'em. pulling a trailer, you'll be able to pass folks on upgrades without the trans having to downshift, and you'll never want to tow with a v8 again. and in traffic... well, if someone hesitates for even a second, one touch on the gas and you're in that spot before the blink of an eye.

do a search, if any of y'all are interested. and if you're seriously interested in trying one, i know where you might find one.

for the foremost authority on jeep strokers and all kinds of performance goodies, check out hesco in birmingham. they made my jeep more fun than i could ever imagine, and with great knowledge and reliability.

do a search on them, too. you'll see they have a great reputation far and wide.

If I'm building a stroker it's gunna be a 383 Chevy. A third the price. Way better torque curve. More horse power. Better driveability. And nothin sounds better than a sbc.

you got me on nothing sounds better than a sbc. and i'll not be cranking out better than 400 lbs. torque without forced induction.

but i'm not sure how you get better driveability. or a third of the price. you plan on low tech, carbureted, disconnect most of your factory electronics?

admittedly, stroking a 4.0 isn't cheap, especially if you go the high quality, high reliability route. but i'm questioning third of the price. and how much you're trading off to get that.

Start with a tpi engine. Custom tune. Nice smooth roller cam with decent lift. An eagle rotating assy. I'm at 3500 bucks and made 465 ft lbs. of torque. And it come on strong from 1800 all the way to 4800 peaked at 3700. Horsepower was 385 at 5500. Slight lope at idle but am averaging 18 mpgs. My 4.0 got 12 on a good day.

Don't get me wrong I love my 4.0l but. It was about 7500 bucks to build it. So it went the way of the wind

Hesco does have nice stuff though. I'm not here to bad mouth noone. Just my opinion. Sometimes it comes on a little harsh. But that's not meant.

none taken. thanks for the clarification. our math is a little different, but you make some good points.

as a mechanic, you're in a good position to think a little more outside of the box with your build, because you're ALWAYS the person working on it. also, you probably (hopefully) have much less hassle with emissions regs up there than many of us here.

for me, the stroker made so much sense because anybody could work on it, not knowing any different than was it a stock vehicle. engine install was easy, parts are jeep dealership stock (mostly), no adapters required (some added cost there), and most of all, all of my stock electronics worked. plus there was no need to custom tune, just plugged in 20% larger injectors and the stroker works with the stock computer seamlessly. ODBII scanners at auto zone still tell me what i need to know, and the stealerships' DRB still aids with more complex diagnostics. some added cost benefit for the stroker is how easy a drop-in it is, compared to many conversions.

but yeah, you make some great points. if i was the one to fix anything that ever went wrong with my jeep, i'd certainly have to consider your option, no doubt.

so, are you running a 383 now in your xj?

It's in the process. I did the test and tune in my Chevy truck on the dyno cuz well it was a two hour swap. And if I broke then easy fix. Took it to the track and beat on it for a few thousand kms. Just to make sure. Now I'm in the process of pinning out the ECM and waiting for driveshafts. Hope to spark it up by Christmas. That is also a very good point emissions. I'm glad we don't have nothin like that up here but soon I think.

It's in the process. I did the test and tune in my Chevy truck on the dyno cuz well it was a two hour swap. And if I broke then easy fix. Took it to the track and beat on it for a few thousand kms. Just to make sure. Now I'm in the process of pinning out the ECM and waiting for driveshafts. Hope to spark it up by Christmas. That is also a very good point emissions. I'm glad we don't have nothin like that up here but soon I think.

cool.

but after all that, i'm a little surprised you don't see the advantages of an inline 6. ;-)

on the other hand, i'm not making 400 ft.lbs. for that, you'd have to talk to this guy:

25-1.jpg

mark wheeler is a regular on the hesco forums. he runs a 4.7 stroker with supercharger and nitrous. he says it's a blast, and he loves to arrive in style!

30-1.jpg

good luck with your swap, jester! do you have a build thread detailing the process?

I want your Cherokee haha. I love it. Mines just my bush buggy.

i am running a 4.6 stroker engine from golen engine service it's alittle up their price wise but the thing is freaking amazing 260 hp and crazy low end only real draw back is that it runs on 91 octane or higher and drinks down more gas then the stock 4.0 but all in all i'm happy with it

nice! i run mine on premium, too, because of the high compression. the aluminim head does eliminate pinging issues with cheap gas, but i took advantage of that to bump compression and power.

it's hard to believe, but my gas mileage is better than stock. factor in higher price of premium, and i still break even at worst, usually end up just a little better.

of course, i could have left it stock... but i'd make the same choice again and again!

you don't need forced induction or a stroker to get over 400lbft I'm running a 4.0 +.060" 10.5:1 and a Clifford Performance 264h cam with nearly everything else stock and easily well over 300lbft @3,300rpm. I'm looking to put in a Redline Weber TBI and new dual 2 1/4" exhaust soon and should be around 450lbft @3,300 and 350hp @4,200rpm

Andrew F said:
you don't need forced induction or a stroker to get over 400lbft I'm running a 4.0 +.060" 10.5:1 and a Clifford Performance 264h cam with nearly everything else stock and easily well over 300lbft @3,300rpm. I'm looking to put in a Redline Weber TBI and new dual 2 1/4" exhaust soon and should be around 450lbft @3,300 and 350hp @4,200rpm

I would like to see dyno numbers.

I'm going to have to take a bit of a trek to get to a dyno, maybe the hour and a half to Chicago for that. I know that with the stock 3.54 gears and 33x12.50 KM2s it pulls just as hard at 80mph as it did off the line with the motor all stock. I ate both the spider gears in the stock D44 and put in a detroit locker and 4.56 gears, now most of the local ricer kids won't even look at me. It's down right now after I had a bearing in the distributor go bad and take both the distributor gears with it. I ordered the new cam and fuel system friday and it should be in in about 3 weeks. I'll have to program the new ECU so a dyno would be a good idea anyway. I'll try to remember to post the actual numbers when it's done, but this system was designed for the Jeep/AMC inline 6s

Back