Brake upgrade

USMCRubi

Poking to upgrade my stock brakes on my 05 Rubicon. Not too familiar with this aspect of mechanicals. Any suggestions. Looking to go cheap but reliable.

Ok. That's suppose to say "looking" not poking. Dam auto correct. Wtf!

All depends how much money you wanna spend. Going bigger means new calipers. Possibly new master to match. Possibly rims if you run into clearance.

15 you won't be able to much better than stock sized rotors that are drilled and good ceramic pads. But they are cheap and work good.

I'd get bigger calipers along with the cross drilled and/or slotted rotors. with stock size rotor you won't notice a huge gain in breakin power because you aren't increasing the surface area of the brakes. bigger calipers will help in this aspect

UMCRubi, With a Rubicon's 4:1 and I am guessing here an automatic transmission?
Braking or even stopping is a problem. There are only two ways to do this, Increasing the hydraulic pressure the Master cylinder can supply to the calipers or increase the amount the pressure the calipers can use.
We will start with the second and most expensive. Big break kits require larger wheels for clearance for the bigger rotors, bigger calipers, and pads. So if your budget isn't ready for tires and rims...
Next is increasing the hydraulic pressure to the factory calipers. You factory braking relies on vacuum assist, a simple upgrade is a hydro assist unit that takes power from your power steering pump and uses it to help your braking. You can expect up to 4 times the braking power with this upgrade, but this is still a high dollar upgrade, some where around 1200$.

The first upgrade you should look at is Rotors and pads, some say ceramic others say Kelvar...everyone has their opinion here. I have a 01 with 4:1 and a automatic transmission, after converting to 4 wheel disc (factory drums on my dana 44) I still didn't have that crisp stopping power that I was looking for. So I have researched all the steps for my 01, the first was still a big hit but I went with EBC brake pads and rotors, the pads are better than anything I could find locally. They didn't fix the creep problem I have in 4 low but they made a big difference on the road. I still plan on doing the hydro boost, but at this time it can wait.

I hope this gives you some thought.

Utah, Terry both of those options have come up in my research. Thanks dry much for ur input. Thank u, Utah, for simplifying it for me. I think I'm gonna go with y'all and do the rotor and pad upgrade first then eventually the booster. I'll let y'all know how everything turns out. Tnx again for the advice.

Back