Poor Performance after Engine Swap- JK

rnsakanya

I recently swapped my 2.5 CRD with a 2.8. The swap went with Injectors, Injector pump and pressure sensor from the 2.5. Unfortunatly i cant get enough power out of the 2.8. It wont go above 110 km/h! The turbo seems to be working fine and the fuel pressures are ok.
Can someone please help.

Richard

Why did you swap in the 2.5 injectors? This will robb power from your engine, to make more power you need bigger injectors and pump. I don't know to much about your engine just know big diesels

My guess is the injectors were swapped to keep the old PCM. What are you running for boost. No pressure leaks? Any smoke?

My guess is the injectors were swapped to keep the old PCM. What are you running for boost. No pressure leaks? Any smoke?

You are right. I swapped the Injectors and pump to keep the old PCM. I noticed two sensors on the camshaft position which i assumed to be camshaft sensors. One is located in front and the other behind, just below the cylinder head. After the swap, I left the back sensor hanging since it did not have a hooking provision on the 2.5 harness. Could this be the reason for poor performance?
There are no pressure leaks, but i noticed a bit of smoke. I suppose its because i really have to push down on the gas pedal to get it moving faster.
Kindly explain further what you mean by "running for boost"

Best,
Richard

I think i know what you mean by boost. Am using the turbo that came with the 2.8 engine. It gives a very strong boost.
Would a slight obstruction of the exhaust outlet affect performance? I say this because we had to do a small modification on the exhaust. The exhaust outlet is a bit narrow.

do you have a boost pressure gauge? if not, I'd make sure you don't need one... and older injectors would be a problem. anytime you add a power adder you need more fuel and that usually means bigger injectors

Since the turbo is run by exhaust it could limit turbo speed if it's enough of a restriction. Do you have any dtcs. I would reset all the fuel adapts and try to get it to learn the new motor. If not it may require injector or pump modification

Back