Help! Transmission maybe?

jeepinchick89

So last coming down the freeway my jeep was doing this surge thing when accelerating. Today the engine light came on and seemed to be worse. I was ready for it to break down. I had the pedal to the floor and normally it have some power and you would hear/feel it kick in. Today it had no pick up once so ever. It acted very sluggish as if the back was slipping. Later tonight it ended up picking power back up but engine light is still on. My uncle ran a check engine light test and it popped up as being the transmission sensor but he's an old school mechanic and doesn't do the computer part. So... How do I know if it's just the sensor or the actual transmission. It's a 98 Cherokee classic with 212000 miles.

I would say its the sensor if thats what came up as a code. If the trany was going out, it would probably do it all the time and you would probably hear some grinding noises. your local auto store (autozone, advanced, pepboys etc..) will reread your codes for free, you just have to tell them your light is on and want your codes read. Takes them about 5 minutes to do.

I agree. Get the diagnostic trouble code and post it here. Chances are it's a governor pressure sensor.

It's p1698 and p602.. That's what my uncles little machine pulled. He says the 602 is pulling because of the 1698. But the 1698 is the main issue. But he's a more old school mechanic and doesn't do sensors.

P1698 is a communication code fault from the TCM( Transmission control module) . The diagnostic procedures can be found on a 1999 service manual. The 1998 service manual will not have the diagnostic procedures on this particular DTC. The procedures are as follows:
Check the CCD bus lines from the TCM
Check the TCM connector for corrosion, pinched wires or severed wirings.
The possible cause for the communication error would be an open short, short to ground or short to voltage.
If all of the diagnostic test passes, the TCM is at fault and will need to be replaced and possibly flashed.
xj911358-1.gif

xj911359-1.gif

Here's a couple of wiring diagrams that will help you trace the CCD bus communication wires to test and verify.

It's p1698 and p602.. That's what my uncles little machine pulled. He says the 602 is pulling because of the 1698. But the 1698 is the main issue. But he's a more old school mechanic and doesn't do sensors.

It's not that bad considering that there are only 2 items your verifying on these schematic diagrams, SCI communications between the PCM and TCM and verify the CCD bus line as well. If any of those lines are faulty, it would need to be repaired, if they test good, replace the TCM.

Back