Believe It Or Not

Crusty

I have a new to me 2000 Cherokee with 4.0 engine and automatic, my first automatic. I am not into mud bogging or rock climbing but do like for my vehicles to perform correctly and be mechanically sound. I do use it for hunting so am in the "wild" at times. I have no records for this rig so do not know what has or has not been done. Any suggestion are greatly appreciated. I am 65 years of age and not real mechanically inclined, so be nice.

Change all fluids, pop off the wheels check your brakes, and check all your u-joints for play, also check for play in your tie rods and ball joints.

Will do, and thanks for the info, I convinced my buddy to help with brake fluid change, seems fluid has never been changed, kinda black, also we changed the antifreeze, it too was black with a large amount of black sludge in the overflow bottle-- not good I assume.

Black sludge in the over flow could be a indication that tap water was used instead of distilled and antifreeze. Keep an eye on your temp to make sure none of your water passages in the radiator haven't become clogged with calcium build up. Then a professional flush with an acidic solution might be in order. Since brake fluid is hydroscopic (meaning if can absorb water from the air) and yours was black, an indication that it has absorbed a fair amount and it hasn't been changed that often. I would suggest you do the power steering fluid and especially the automatic transmission fluid. Your AW4 transmission is a strong transmission but slightly burnt transmission fluid can leave you stranded quicker than bad gas and with no warnings.

Back