CJ-5's with the 4 banger

jdkkelly

I am in the market to buy another CJ, that said I am looking at a stock 1980 CJ5 with 150,000 original miles/original owner and a rebuilt 4 banger new carb. My research thus far shows it as the pontiac not AMC motor and fairly weak numbers. However; any experience with these as a daily highway driver and forest service road/trail vehicle? I am not into rock crawling or mudding but rather exploring, camping and driving to work in something differerent with Jeep style. Any thoughts or experience?

Most everybody has made engines for jeep at one time or another. Even the 4.0 was originally a ford desighned engine.
The jeep you mentioned will be great for everything you mentioned except the driver to work if it's very far. Those old jeeps with four bangers were very low geared.

I had an "82 with the GM 4cyl("Pontiac Iron Duke") & a 4 speed. It was my first Jeep & I used it as a commuter vehicle & for weekend getaways(camping,trail riding etc.).
It had a Rochester 2barrel carb that was a pretty good carb once it was adjusted right. I added a header which made a difference in performance. I think the biggest problem with the Iron Duke is oil leaking from the side plate...if you can keep it from leaking too bad the engine should last a while. I ran 30" tires & could keep up with my buddies with 6cyl engines on the trails most of the time...I also had the 20gallon tank which meant I could go farther without filling up than the 6cyl guys. In my opinion...if the "80 your looking at runs good....go for it!

I agree, my dad had a 82 with the pontiac iron duke in it and he drove it everyday, the family even took a two week vacation in it from ohio to north carolina. His was a 5spd and you had to down shift on any up hill grade but other than that it was a great jeep.

Back