Shocks with new lift kit

I bought brand new Rancho Rs5000's for my yj a couple months ago and I was also wanting to get the rubicon express 4in lift but without the shocks, could my RS5000's work fine with the rubicon express lift?

If the shocks were bought for a jeep with no lift, they will be to short for a 4" lift. They will fit on there but will be close to there extended travel.

5000's are some pretty stiff gas-charged shocks. May want to consider selling them and getting some hydraulic shocks if you're looking for a smoother ride.

steady.foot said:
If the shocks were bought for a jeep with no lift, they will be to short for a 4" lift. They will fit on there but will be close to there extended travel.

Sorry I wasnt being very specific, I bought them with a 3in body lift, I'm just going to take the body lift out and add the 4in express lift to it. The extended length of the front is 25.250 and the back 20.250

A body lift does not increse the distance between the top shock mount and the lower, You could put on a 12" body lift and run the same shock because nothing has changed in the suspension. 25 and 20" dont seem to bad though. Only thing to really do is install you lift and before putting the shocks on, stretch them out and see how much travel you will have. If you dont have what you want, then just run your current shocks until you can get the correct ones.. Running a shorter shock will only limit your susupension travel off road, so using them now will be fine but you will not win any suspension flexing contest, lol.

so if I took the shocks off and let the axle drop, my shocks should at lease be that long for the most flex

34763d1295469576tprojectblacksky01191113-1.jpg

I must have been in a hurry when I responded and used poor words. With the shocks off, Try to get your suspension to do something like this. Passenger side front is extended, and driver side is compressed. Measure each side from top shock mount to lower shock mount. you will need a shock that measures "x" amount fully compressed, and "x" amount fully extended. This will give you the most out of your shocks and allow full use of your suspension travel.

Last edited:

thanks I didn't think about the compressed part of it
phil

Back