sea foam

dopo

I have a 97 zj and thinking of sea foaming her. Could I get some tips on what to do correctly and what not to do. I was thinking of putting it only in gas tank and oil. Thanks

I have used sea foam on my cj and love it. I first used it in the oil, and about a week later I put some in the gas tank as well. I dont really have any tips for you with it. I just know I liked it, and so did my jeep.

Yeah you shouldn't run it too long with it in the oil... IDE say about 100 miles. I did it to my xj. I didn't wanna risk anything ha

OH BOY! I put mine in about 2months ago and I never did change the oil... what gona happen?????? should I change it ASAP

Another treatment I've tried in my '78 F100, is to take SeaFoam and let it be sucked into the intake manifold...let it sit for 30-an hour, then start it up...make sure you are in an open area...it will blow smoke like its on fire! Drive it hard for a few miles, 10-15 and let it blow all the gunk out...

There are some people that swear it has stopped their valves from clicking, improved their gas mileage, etc...I know for my carbureted engine it woke it up, and made it run much smoother...

Need to do it to the wife's mini van...but I do run a can through the gas at least once every other month or so...and through the oil every other oil change...will probably do the same with my '99 Jeep Grand Cherokee (new to me...has 223,000 miles on it...)

You can Google SeaFoam treatments and see videos, read articles, etc...

Sent from my iPhone using Jeepz

Follow the instructions on sucking the recommended amount of seafoam into the intake manifold. I put the recommended amount into a cup and slowly let the vacuum line from the brake booster suck the fluid into the engine. It smokes like crazy for a bit once you restart it but it's all good.

69jeepcj said:
OH BOY! I put mine in about 2months ago and I never did change the oil... what gona happen?????? should I change it ASAP

If it were mine I would... But i don't know everything about it.. I just don't trust it to be in there with my oil for too long

If your looking to clean your oil/oil pan, and loosen up all the "gunk"...ATF fluid works very well...add some 1/4 quart or so to your engine oil...run it for 10-15 min...drive it around, etc...(if your going to a oil change shop, and it's only a few minutes away, add it, then drive there)...drain the oil, fill back up with fresh clean oil, and go about your day...one thing you have to be very careful about, if your engine is older, and you have a lot of "gunk" in the pan, or you think you do...if you start loosening all that stuff up, it may clog stuff up...the best way to keep the internals of an engine clean, KEEP THE OIL CHANGED REGULARLY...when I get a "new/used" vehicle, regardless what the sticker in the top of the windshield says, I change the oil...usually about every 2,500 miles for the first 6 months...it will clean the engine internals out on its own...then start changing it every 3,000-5,000 miles (depending on how often you change it)...

But I have also used Sea Foam, but just "I'm headed to get the oil changed, add some to the crankcase before I leave"...never for an extended period of time...

I started using seafoam a couple years ago. I love the stuff. Its made a world of difference in all the vehicles ive used it in. On the can it has the directions on how to use it. But be careful like listed above. If you have lots of dirt and gunk it will loosen it up.

On my wifes ford escape it cleaned out the gunk around the lower intake gaskets and made it leak like crazy. Which made it run awful til i replaced em. But now it runs better than when we bought it. If you keep your oil changed regularly you wont have to run seafoam through the intake that often. Maybe 3-4 times a year.

Something crazy I've seen is using deisel fuel to clean out gunk from your block. It's a little more involved than seafoam but you wouldnt believe the amount of crap it breaks up... If your willing.. drain your oil and remove your sparkplugs and disconnect th coil. Then replace the oil drain plug poor about 2-3 quarts of diesel fuel in your oil fill and crank the engine with the spark plugs out or if you can pump the oil pump.. don't know if you can on jeeps but I know on many v8s you can attatch a drill to the oil pump down the distributor shaft... Like I said more in involved but after its been pumped through the engine and you drain it EVERYTHING comes out. Then put some cheap motor oil back in the motor and pump it through the engine to get any remaining deisel fuel out of the block. Put everything back together and change the cheap oil like you would normally and your good to go

It's quite a bit more work but it deep cleans the engine. I wouldn't recomend it on a real high mileage engine with leaky seals tho... It might break up too much and make leaks worse. Might not even recommend it on a normal DD engine. The only time I've seen and helped with this proccess is to clean out an old motor that had been sitting for a few decades. Ran real perty after tho

Bounty__Hunter said:
I wouldn't recommend this, great way to spin a bearing and ruin your engine.

I like how you go on to NOT recommend it for any engines LOL.

Ha yeah. I've seen it but I would never do it to something I own

Just put sea foam in gas tank, oil, and brake booster. Burnt some junk out waiting to see the outcome.

I like it as an fuel additive, never tried it in my oil. I did pull the oil pan on my CJ just to clean it out. Glad I did too, had alot of sludge but also had some silicone that had sucked up to the oil pump pick up. I've found so darned much silicone "in" this engine, like in the radiator. Problems that were just waiting to happen.

I put it in the gas tank and oil as well but offset it so it's gas tank, run through the tank + two more full tanks. Then do the oil, but always change the oil fairly soon (same month).

Something crazy I've seen is using deisel fuel to clean out gunk from your block. It's a little more involved than seafoam but you wouldnt believe the amount of crap it breaks up... If your willing.. drain your oil and remove your sparkplugs and disconnect th coil. Then replace the oil drain plug poor about 2-3 quarts of diesel fuel in your oil fill and crank the engine with the spark plugs out or if you can pump the oil pump.. don't know if you can on jeeps but I know on many v8s you can attatch a drill to the oil pump down the distributor shaft... Like I said more in involved but after its been pumped through the engine and you drain it EVERYTHING comes out. Then put some cheap motor oil back in the motor and pump it through the engine to get any remaining deisel fuel out of the block. Put everything back together and change the cheap oil like you would normally and your good to go

It's quite a bit more work but it deep cleans the engine. I wouldn't recomend it on a real high mileage engine with leaky seals tho... It might break up too much and make leaks worse. Might not even recommend it on a normal DD engine. The only time I've seen and helped with this proccess is to clean out an old motor that had been sitting for a few decades. Ran real perty after tho

I've taken out 2 quarts of oil, replaced it with diesel, start my car and let it idle for about 5 minutes, then drained it good, left the drain plug out for a few hrs.. put cheap oil in and a new filter, ran it for a day or so, then changed my oil back to good oil .... cleaned it out completely.. done that many times over the years.. never had any problems doing it.. diesel is an excellent sludge cleaner, just don't go driving around with it in there.. let it idle, get warm, and drain it.. 5 or even 10 minutes will dissolve the sludge, no rev with keep it from slinging into places you wouldn't want it.. but just pumping it through cleans it great..

frhrwa said:
I've taken out 2 quarts of oil, replaced it with diesel, start my car and let it idle for about 5 minutes, then drained it good, left the drain plug out for a few hrs.. put cheap oil in and a new filter, ran it for a day or so, then changed my oil back to good oil .... cleaned it out completely.. done that many times over the years.. never had any problems doing it.. diesel is an excellent sludge cleaner, just don't go driving around with it in there.. let it idle, get warm, and drain it.. 5 or even 10 minutes will dissolve the sludge, no rev with keep it from slinging into places you wouldn't want it.. but just pumping it through cleans it great..

Ha! I'm not crazy :)

Back