Steering gear box

awetzel86

Hey everyone so this is my first post.

I am stationed in Misawa Japan and i own a 1995 Cherokee Xj and its right hand drive. My situation is i have a leaking steering gear box. i plan to pull it out this weekend and see if i am able to fix it but if i can't fix it myself i have to order a new one. only problem is i have no idea if getting a new steering gear box from the US for a left hand drive jeep is going to work on a right hand drive jeep. i've never had to deal with a stearing gearbox before so this is something new to me even though i do all my own auto work and i just don't have a haynes or other type of manual for it yet.

Any help would be awesome guys and gals :)

Keep on jeepin on :shades:

You should be able to order a rebuild kit for your gear box, but from what I under stand its a PITA. If your just going to replace the seals its not as bad. You might want to look for the Darango steer box as its a direct bolt in replacement.

Most likely its just the seals in the box so the rebuild shouldnt be that bad although thats easy for me to say, I have neve done it... I am no expert on this but I think a right side box or a left side box would be the same, it just bolts to the opisite frame rail, still turns the same distance right to left and the mounting holes go all the way through the box so it should bolt to either frame rail. I cant think of any reason it wouldnt work.

I was looking into and figured they could go either way. But a few more inputs never hurts :) I ordered the complete rebuild kit. If I can rebuild valves for large air systems then I'm sure I can handle a gearbox.

Yeah... Id say your good to go. let us know how it turns out because my box has a bad leak. heck, I think everything on my jeep leaks but the engine. lol

I'll look into that as well. Japan inspections are so strict. One little leak and its a fail

Getting impatient. I can't wait to drive my Cherokee. It will make up for missing my 2.5l wrangler back in the states.

My parts kit arrived today and man was it alot of stuff. got the gear box out and tomorrow should have it rebuilt.

There are some you tube videos on rebuilding and adjusting the steering gearbox out there.

Well it's not going according to plan. ..... The pitman arm will not come off and I used every puller I could get my hands on. Even heated it up an still frozen fast.

Well it's not going according to plan. ..... The pitman arm will not come off and I used every puller I could get my hands on. Even heated it up an still frozen fast.

Be sure to try to keep heat only around the outside, tryn to expand it. If the inside is heated at the same rate both parts will expand and you wont gain anything. Although a heat cycle will sometimes help. Maybe just soak it, give it a good cussin' and try again later. If you have access to some Aerokroil, it's really good stuff. Good luck, I'm letting the steering knuckle soak on my CJ at the moment, just finished cussing.

they can be stubborn, tighten the puller up good and just tap on the end of the pitman arm (where the tierod attaches) with a hammer. Dont whack it, just some moderate taps then tighten the pull some more and tap then retighten. It will eventually come off, they can be violent sometimes when they come free so watch your hands. Thats been my best success.

It's not every day that automotive work defeats me. I had to put it back in because I've ran out of time and my inspection is today. Once it's inspected and I can drive it on base then I will try again.

I wouldn't recommend using heat. I've always been able to get them off easily with a puller and a 3lb sledge. Tighten the puller and whack the pitman arm on the side perpendicular to the sector shaft coming out of the steering box. Tighten, whack, and repeat. This defeats most pitman arms. Works great on TRE's and balljoints too as it temporarily egg-shapes the hole and allows the tapered fit to drop free.

Well I passed the inspection so that's a plus but now when I turn all the way to the right I get load bang sounds right when it reaches max right turn. Have some work to do now so see what's up. I think I have a general idea and I will find out Sunday.

Back