I want more power

Brother, who gives a rats' ass what anyone says you should do... it's YOUR Jeep. While it's prudent to heed the sound advice of advid builders, it's equally nice to be unique while staying true to a common sense blend of form and function. It's the trial and error approach that teaches you the basics. Yes Axles are the foundation, But why have Dana 60's or Rockwells if you can't turn them efficiently? i won't tell you what to do or even what you should do. If you want that 350 chevy by all means go get it. But back it up with a 400 and D44's at the least. Common sense blend. This would be relatively inexpensive and give you years of enjoyment on the big trails and be reliable enough to be a daily driver.

im going to agree that since it is HIS jeep , HE will build it HIS way , but absolutely should be planned out with common sense. Larger axles WILL need more torque or you'll find yourself standing on the gas just trying to keep it moving whether uphill or through loose terrain as you know. Those axles command more TQ and HP so it is going to be trial and error which becomes research and development . In the dirt , the turbo 400 will make an excellent choice as it is a tough trans and with no O/D , less to break , o/d not needed off-road . But yes , build and common sense will decide what selection of parts are best. I believe a stock 350 as far as compression and cylinder head design is fine and a cam which maximizes efficiency of the existing chamber volume and still keeps cylinder pressure and temperature in a safe range thereby building the torque desired for pushing the t-case and two axles. I had a d44 in a '78 cherokee once and found it to be well strong and capable . With the right tires , it will push when is called upon. U-joint selection always critical but since we are talking 350 with added torque , better upgrade driveshaft and flanges to take something like spicer 1350's just for durability.
It will definately be best to plan ahead as is being done what drivetrain to follow the small block as you want to spend money wisely and build time as well . A good turbo 400 with a shift kit for more positive shift and less or no slip ( we're not concerned for smooth shift off road) will give you the confidence to use the new found torque and less worry. T-case and axles are next. We know a good d44 works and ring and pinion can be swapped if needed . It's got that going for it.
the d300 will be a good case as you'll need it behind a strong t400 and small block . Anything less (np231 or242 , for example won't last long) will have you back under the jeep with more downtime. Your planning careful and that's smart . Take all member contribution into consideration and you'll make your decision what works for you. 69jeepcj has a built small block so he knows what works and what breaks. Rub1out makes the case as well since you want the jeep to do what YOU want it to and don't want to find out later you should have used another trans , t-case or axle(s) instead . I'm not the jeep builder they are but have used 4x4's with different arrangements power and drivetrain wise and understand the difference. I learned to transfer what knowledge gained from cars to jeeps and found it somewhat relevant. Following their build advise will be perfect for stock. Only should you want to advance to MORE (HP,TQ, gear ratio, etc.) will you need the bigger spec. parts . Again , trial and error as your appetite in four wheeling changes, you'll find the need for stronger and more capable. Best of luck in your build and please ask before proceeding if any question as now is the time.

Back