1998 2.5 Performance Chips ?

mrgus'jeep

I have a 1998 wrangler with a 2.5 4cyl, it does great off road however going down the road to the trails i find it lacking the power to pull 5th gear. Will a performance chip help ? Don't want to spend the money if its not going to make a difference.
thanks fellows

I wouldn't waste money on a chip. Any slight gain will be insignificant.

Save your money to regear the axles for your current tire size, that's the best bang for the buck.

I chipped mine and did the other mods to run it, and its not enough of a gain to feel it in the seat... Slight mpg gain but not a huge difference...

Chips are worthless except on diesels. Regear it.

This^^^ x1000. Chips do absolutely nothing. Best bet is to save all your money you plan spending on a cai, chip, exhaust, etc. And Regear Regear Regear. Unless of course you wanna throw some forced induction on your four angry squirrels.

I would agree with them I had the same experience with those performance chip. I was totally not convenience with it, so I sold it and bought instead a IHE bolt on upgrade and lift kit from 4wheelonline. Yes my rig is still slow, but I can go where ever I want and time and any day.

Well its been awhile for me, have not been on forum, shame on me right. Anyway just wanted to share a small upgrade to my Lil 4 Banger. I am one who tries to stay away from chips but that being said I was going to relocate my IAT sensor from the intake manifold to the air intake tube. Been reading alot about this old mod and have heard more positive than negative. It suppose to pickup cooler air and sending the signal to the PCM and it injects more fuel at WOT and advances the timing a tad. Well I did not do it yet, gotta get a new IAT sensor, extend the wires, and drill hole in a desired location and seal tight. Well I tried something different for now and its been working for 2 weeks. When I say its been working I mean I am getting just a lil more throttle/Fuel on the high end of RPM range making it easier to maintain same speed or more with less pedal and effort. It is also yielding better MPG, dont know exactly how much. At a quick glance I use to get about 40 miles per 1/4 tank and now I am getting about 60 miles per 1/4 tank. I know thats a big open window but the MPG increase is a nice welcomed change. Well here it is !!!! What I did is raise the IAT SENSOR 1/4 with a washer shape design made out of virgin teflon. It still picks up some heat from the intake manifold but not as much. My belief is the probe inside is not getting heat soaked and the insulating properties are keeping the sensor a hair cooler. No splicing, no cutting wires, no fooling the PCM. Real temps. Again cooler reading and no heat soak. Nothing extreme but I can feel a difference. I do plan on painting it black or grey for now. Maybe later I will do a total relocation but for now this is a nice change in increase throttle/fuel and added MPG. I will try to add a pic. Its been awhilehttp://www.jeepz.com/forum/images/styles/AnimatedArena/attach/jpg.gifhttp://www.jeepz.com/forum/images/styles/AnimatedArena/attach/jpg.gif ( O yes ofcourse it picks up some heat from the threads but it is giving my rig just a hair more umph. )

Attachments

• Iat sensor 4.jpg
    Iat sensor 4.jpg
    285.6 KB · Views: 21
  • iat sensor 1.jpg
    iat sensor 1.jpg
    355.9 KB · Views: 19
Last edited:

A 50% increase in fuel mileage? You need to come up with a way to get real numbers, like average mileage over many tanks of fuel, before and after a mod. Trying to eyeball a 1/4 tank to justify a mod if how you end up with erroneous claims of a 50% improvement in mileage.

^^agree^^

Verify mileage over a full tank a number of times. Real miles per gallons to fill. There is a lot of error when you squeeze that last gallon in vs stopping at the first kickoff.

Second how much might be recovery from an issue. Could the IAT have been bad and you merely fixed an issue?

Lastly anything with air intake will be relearned by the PCM and only last 500 mi or so.

I really wish I had my old mpg data taken over the years. Lost it with the PC blue screen.

^^agree^^

Verify mileage over a full tank a number of times. Real miles per gallons to fill. There is a lot of error when you squeeze that last gallon in vs stopping at the first kickoff.

Second how much might be recovery from an issue. Could the IAT have been bad and you merely fixed an issue?

Lastly anything with air intake will be relearned by the PCM and only last 500 mi or so.

I really wish I had my old mpg data taken over the years. Lost it with the PC blue screen.

Yeah your right about that, I looked again today after a short run and I did shoot way over the moon on mileage. I am still checking on that. I do not believe it was that much, my mistake.

So you mean to tell what little gains I feel are not gonna last ? aah man :(

In my experience, they didn't last. Reset the PCM and you get another 500 mi. Though my IAT is already in the intake. And moving it above the TB will give more accurate temps. You may see some improvements.

Relocating IAT sensor 4.0L - JeepForum.com

O thats right I remember on certian years they did move that IAT into the air tube compared to on the intake manifold. What year is your rig? and what size is that power plant ?

Back