Winter driving

TJoffroadr

Ok, this is for you guys up north who get snow all the time.... I live in Birmingham Alabama, as you probably saw on the news 2 weeks ago we looked like a bunch of fools trying to drive in this mess (snow and ice). So I've got a question for you guys, I have a TJ Sport, with 35x12.50x15 BFG all terrain tires they're on 15x8 wheels. What's the best way to gain traction in the snow without chains? Would airing down do any good? The shop that mounted and balanced my tires had them up at 34psi. 2 weeks ago, I had let them down to about 24 psi and wondered if that was too much or if that actually helped.

use torque not horsepower to drive. look where you want to go, not where you're going (unless they're the same spot). steer into a skid. as long as the wheels are turning you will continue to go in desired direction, step on the brake and lock up the tires, you will go in the path of least resistance. if sliding sideways on ice/snow keep those wheels spinning as fast as you can because when they finally hookup, if they grip all at once you will roll.

Airing down your tires will help a lot. Tires that big on a small vehicle don't need that much preasure. I run my 35x12.50s at 20 pounds all the time. Summer and winter. I don't use mine much in the winter tho. The best way to check on the right preasure for your rig is to put a chalk line across the tread of your tire and drive straight ahead several revolutions of the tire on a paved surface. If the chalk is worn off in the middle, It needs more preasure. If it's worn on the edges, It needs less. Preasure from front to back may be diferent. Try it and see if your tires wear more even and make the ride a lot better. Also better traction in the snow. For ice there's only one answer. Tire chains.

The best way to check on the right preasure for your rig is to put a chalk line across the tread of your tire and drive straight ahead several revolutions of the tire on a paved surface. If the chalk is worn off in the middle, It needs more preasure. If it's worn on the edges, It needs less.
This is incorrect, you have it reversed. Worn chalk in the middle means too much pressure. Worn chalk on the edges of the tread means not enough pressure.

Unfortunately the wider tires act like skis and float on top of the snow. Airing down helps. A low center of gravity and some weight. So a full tank and maybe a bag of sand between the rear wheels in the back.
Biggest thing is slow on the throttle and only drive as fast as you would want to hit an immovable object. I say that cause many feel once moving all is well, until their in a ditch or worse.

Ps the sand comes in handy if you do get stuck.

This is incorrect, you have it reversed. Worn chalk in the middle means too much pressure. Worn chalk on the edges of the tread means not enough pressure.

Yup, Your right Bounty-Hunter. I don't know what i was thinking when i got that backwards. Thanks for corecting my mistake.

I agree with others. Mudders are for mud to stay on top. Surface area
Not good in rain either. Hydro-plane anyone??
Snow tires need to dig in. OEM tires for snow
Don't look as nice... But keep you on the road
And under control
Ice... Slow down and plan ahead. No quick stops

Keep your fuel tank full, (I never let mine go less than 3/4, EVER.) and drive only as fast and you have to. I leave early, and let people go around me, that way I have time to help pull them out off the shoulder and off the medians. Prepare for intersections by letting your foot off the accelerator WAY before you're going to stop, and never pull up to the limit line. You're just putting your nose out there for the next spinning vehicle to hit you.:driving:

Brady

Anchorage, (Ft Richardson) Alaska

I think you have that Back-words, if the Chock line is worn in the Middle, you need Less Pressure your Tire is Inflated to much, that's why the Middle is Higher. If the Chock line is worn on the Edge's you need More Pressure, your under inflated. As to driving better in the Winter, I'm in Juneau Alaska, Having dedicated Snow Tires is the Way to go, I do, they have nice Snipes running threw-out and they are studded, my winter tires are 31" incher's, they work great.

Gotta laugh at the situation, not you.
I live in N.W. Indiana and this year we are up to over 67" of snow.
To get traction in my Wrangler Sport, I pop it in 4W High hit the accellerator and yell EeeeeeeHa!
Seriously--30 lbs of recommended pressure in my Kelly Safari Trecks is fine.

I run 26 lbs in my 30's year round. they are Dunlop Mudders. Not all that bad in snow/ice.

Unfortunately the wider tires act like skis and float on top of the snow. Airing down helps. A low center of gravity and some weight. So a full tank and maybe a bag of sand between the rear wheels in the back. Biggest thing is slow on the throttle and only drive as fast as you would want to hit an immovable object. I say that cause many feel once moving all is well, until their in a ditch or worse. Ps the sand comes in handy if you do get stuck.

Not alwAys true i have 3312.50 15s on mine on a tj and they are amazing in the snow i dont have to ever lock it in 4x4 there great dont float snd the bite for traction there maxxis bighorns and i run 25lbs of air in them

No doubt some tires will do better than others even vehicles hane differences. Though in general wider tires do float on top of snow quicker than skinny. In my experience at least. Many do well starting and maintaining speed. The most notable differences is when breaking or maneuvering on snow packed roadways.
Never used maxxis but 25 psi is about normal for many tires.

No doubt some tires will do better than others even vehicles hane differences. Though in general wider tires do float on top of snow quicker than skinny. In my experience at least. Many do well starting and maintaining speed. The most notable differences is when breaking or maneuvering on snow packed roadways. Never used maxxis but 25 psi is about normal for many tires.

The maxxis bighorn is a great tire i love them decent on road wear wise not really loud aeesome in the snow and off road there amszing i got all five mounted and balanced at my local off road shop for $1198.00

Back