fast Jeep

dwillys

I have a fast Jeep. It's a blast to drive but, I have yet to really do any rock crawling. It's always in some stage of getting, or needing something done. I still need skids but I did crawl over some smaller rocks and it was like King of the Hammers style, fast. At least I do also have a slow Jeep for technical rock crawling !

Are you all stock, or have you done any modifications?

I was impressed with the torque and speed of my TJ, compared to the CJs I had driven previously.

No, far from stock on this Jeep. It's a 1961 Willys wagon on steroids !

willys build 071.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
Very cool. Post up some of your mods, and more photos if you can. This would make a great build thread (i.e. detail what you started with and how it's built now.

1961 Willys wagon, 550 h/p 383 stroker with 11.3:1 compression,built TH400, d300 w/4 to1 gearset, twin sticked. D60 front with 4 link and King coilovers, 14 bolt rear on leaves. 38x14.5x17" MTRKs, Disc brakes on all 4 w/Eldorado calipers on the 14 bolt for E brakes. PSC hydro assist and hydro assist brakes. MSD ignition.The body is on a K5 blazer frame. The front frame horns were cut off and rebuilt to hold a winch, and it was boxed and raised about 6". Full compliment of Autometer Phantom Gauges. ARBs and comp. in garage waiting their turn. Still need skids, cage, some wiring, and I have a winch waiting also. It's been quite a build as no one makes bolt on anything for this. It is a real blast to drive, to say the least.BTW, I also have a pretty well built JKUR but, who cares about it now ? lol !

willysindirt032_zps33f0b40a.jpg

willysat4wheelparts006_zps26718de6.jpg

417453_145413662244155_100003265670477_175905_84640426_n_zps3f40a9f8.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Thank you, It is a lot of fun but, no beauty really. The paint is so faded, I think it used to be red. There are some dents and some rust but not bad and fixable. I don't want to fix and paint the body because I wheel it and don't want to wonder why I did all that work just to screw it up. I know other Willys owners who would never take them off road. They think I'm nuts. likewise I say ! lol

Your jeep definitely is a keeper. Looks really awesome thumbs up for you!

Holy cow!! I was going to brag about my '70 boss 302 in my '55 CJ5. But, I have to pick my jaw up off the floor after reading your post. I am just trying to build a really good crawler. I'm putting an NP-435 four speed .....6.6:1 first gear , with 2.64:1 transfer case ratio, and 5.38:1 differentials. Ratio may be off some, but close. However, with this gearing I'm looking for a Warn Overdrive unit to keep up with freeway traffic. Along with 35+" tires. Working on unseizing engine right now. Long way to go....slowly but surely. All the best and keep wheeling.

I used to have an SM465 in the Willys when I bought it. I would have kept it but I have bad knees. So bad in fact, I had knee replacement surgery about 8 months ago. After the surgery, it took about 3 months to be able to get in and drive it. It was after I was finally able to drive it for the first time, I had major engine problems and ended up installing a crate engine.I also installed a Howe Aluminum Radiator, custom fan shroud that fits a Volvo 2 speed electric fan. I do have a Warn 15,000 LB. winch for it that was given to me when I bought the Jeep. The front bumper was designed around it. I guess the seller had no idea that Warn still sells parts for every winch they ever made so I took it apart, replaced all worn parts, repainted it, and it's ready for duty.

Back