Shifting hard after i changed the trans oil and filter

gregcf72

Guys, i just changed my transmission oil and filter on my 2003 Jeep wrangler sport and now it seems to shift hard between 3rd gear and 4th gear(ODrive). Can someone tell me whats going on?

Is the fluid level within the specified range on the dipstick?, make sure the engine is at normal operating temperature prior to checking the fluid level. It usually takes 5 Qts of ATF+4 to refill when you drop the pan and filter. If the level is up to par, it's possible that one of the solenoids or valves is causing the harsh shift.

it has the right amount of fluid in the transmission but it still shifts down hard from overdrive to 3rd gear. When it shift going up it is smooth only when it shift down on that one gear. what else do think is wrong?

There is an update on the TCM software for that issue. You can check at your local dealer to see how much it would cost.

mine was shifting hard too , untill we put a new clutch in .,

When I changed the fluid on my 06 LJ, I also had shifting trouble. It took much more ATF than was called for in the manual. If I remember, it was almost a whole quart more.When it was shifting hard, the fluid was toward the bottom on the stick, but still in normal range. I got on here and they suggested I add some more, so I did, pulling it at the top end of normal range. A couple miles down the road, things started smoothing out. No trouble now.

My question is, why do so many automotive fluids smell so damn bad? My nose is dreading the next due date.

Back