1960 cj 5 serial number

igor

has anyopne here had anyissues with the mva concerning older jeep serial or vin number s the investigations unit is tell ing me that myvin number heed to have more characters than it has. my sons cj 5 has a serial number that is only six numbers. it is a 1960 jeep and they didnt use vins till 1962 . any one have any ideas. now i am a retired aa county police sgt so i am willing to do any investigating necessary. im just not sure where to start. i do know that title s are cross registered with soundex numbers. my son bought the vehicle and the previous owner says the title was thrown away. he is having an issue remembering the guys name hebought it from.
any thoughts?

This reminds me of a friend. He had the same issue and, well, he bought another jeep that was junk yard bound and took the vin off of it and revited it to the firewall and used that title. His figuring was that these jeeps are modified and swapped around so much that knowone would ever be able to tell. He had the jeep for about 5 yrs and sold it, never did have any issues with it. illegal as can be but Just a thought.

I had a friend that sold a '55 Jeep not too long ago. It didn't have a title and when the guy that bought it went to register it the DMV said it didn't have enough numbers in the vin. Don't know what the outcome was. I know in Tenn you can apply for a certificate of ownership (which is a title) but there are some stipulations, You may want to check into it.

more on the mva saga, the 1960 cj5 should ahve 10 digits according to mva. jeep serical number only has 6 digits. the mva uses the nada book for their refrence and i am going to have to prove them incorrect.
in md the title number and the vin are cross refrenced to the last owner that titled the vehicle

Thats crazy! How are you subposed to give them a 10 digit number when it was only assigned 6 when it was built at the factory. The 6 digits seemed to work up until now, I would want to know what changed from the last time it was registered to now, Meaning why was it registered in the past but cant be now.

yeah i know it is nuts but im trying to work through it . being retired , a police sgt, i know how to investigate so i am hoping that will hedlp let you all know how it turns out

I think you could be helped at the DMV if somebody just would. They really ****ed me off a couple months back. I took my daughter to get her drivers lic. They asked for 2 forms of my I.D. and proof of insurance on the car. I handed the nice lady my insurance card, my drivers lic and my permit to carry. She hands the permit to carry back and says this is not acceptable. She couldn't give (or wouldn't give) me a reason why it wasn't. It's a pic ID and you know the background checks and hoops you have to jump through to get it. That was all the ID I had, she ended up accepting an insurance reciept instead of the gun permit that had my photo. Is there something I'm missing here?

dmv wont accept your gun permit. i had it happen to me once with my county police id. i did a little checking and she had an open warrant. i went back about a week later and arrested her warrant in hand. she was not happy i used the same id to arrest her. like i said not happy. im not done with them as of yet in fact i havent really even started , yet

Back