noob w/ commander ?'s

pete11b

I'm now in the market for my first Jeep. I have narrowed my search down to used 07-08 Commanders w/ at least a 4.7 v8. I would appreciate any sage advice from veteran Jeep owners as well as tips about what options to look for, and which to avoid, if any.
I also plan on customizing my vehicle, but it seems like after market parts for Commanders are scarce. I'm specifically looking for roof racks that won't block the Commanders sunroofs, and winch compatible bumpers, bull bars, or brush guards. Can anyone point me in the right direction?

-Pete

Welcome to Jeepz.com Pete. I know there is at least one commander owner in here (Dry Suit Diver). Here are some shots of his :
Commander - Jeepz.com Reader Rides

I couldn't tell you where to get parts - I imagine they will get even harder to find since the Commander has been cut from Jeep's lineup.

If you plan on going off road and you want to keep a closed in jeep, try an older Cherokee. They are more off road capable, and parts are easy to find and relatively cheap. If you dont mind a convertible, there is always a Wrangler! LOL

For your bumpers, sliders, and rack.. you might be better off taking your measurements to a shop and have them fab up what you want. I'm sure there are at least a few people on here that custom fab... just search. Best of luck!

~Rovin

I just read that in another post a few minutes ago. I don't take that as a commentary on the vehicle itself. I think it has more to do with poor marketing, and a lack of broad appeal. For a while it seemed to be the vehicle of choice for upper middle class soccer moms, who probably didn't need it. With gas prices averaging 3.65 now they seem to be flooding the used car market. Other than "spotty reliability" on the '06 and the v6 being underpowered, I haven't found mentioned any other problems with the Commander. Have I overlooked anything?

I have always liked the older Cherokee Sports, but with my family of 5 plus a large dog, it's not a good fit. The Wrangler is obviously in the same category.

Thanks for the replies.

Back