New Member - looking for a Jeep

bciocco

I'm a new member. I am looking for a Jeep as a second vehicle. I drive about 40K per year, so it wouldn't work as a primary vehicle.
I wouldn't do much off road. My wife and I kayak and have a trailer for the yak. Any recommendations as far as generations or Wrangler vs. CJ would be helpful.
I will be using the search feature to find other threads related to finding the right vehicle.
Thanks.

Welcome to the Z.

Sounds like a 6cyl. Wrangler would work well for you, they started with fuel injection in '91 and were a lot more reliable than the earlier carb'd engines. '92 was the first year of the family style roll cage over the rear seat, and '95 was the last year for square headlights and leaf springs. No '96 Wrangler, then '97 was the dawn of round headlights AND round springs.

I prefer the inline 6 over the v6. So whatever year you can get to get that motor, go for that. It does get a lil better gas mileage. Personally, 2001 is the best way to go with that generation Wrangler. It really depends on what you want from the Jeep.

The fewer bells and whistles the better. I like the idea of pre-computer, except that electronic fuel injection has really helped with fuel economy and maintenance. The advent of ethanol really makes me steer toward post 90 to avoid having problems with the fuel system.

Last edited:
For what I want to do - light kayak trailer, is the 4 cylinder worth considering? Or will I always be saying, "I should have waited for a 6?"

Welcome to Jeepz. I Agree with Bounty_Hunter's Choice...Fuel injection is more Efficient, reliable and Dependable. 4.0 has been around for awhile now that is proven its longevity for use on and offroad. 4 cyl. are fine as well,however, people who buys the 4Cyl. and later decides to install bigger tires and tow as well tends to be remorseful for the lack of fuel economy and power. My two cents in the bucket would be a Wrangler Unlimited for a long wheel base(more room to carry your gears in the back and a longer roof to install a roof rack for 2 kayaks and or extra luggage). More stable for towing on the highways due to the longer wheel base ...Get the 6 cyl (4.0) you will not regret it. Coil spring suspension makes it a lot more comfortable on long drives.

Thanks for the advice. I think it is good for me, except the roof rack. The main reason I want the Jeep is the soft top.

Back