New guy for a drivetrain swap in TN

CamTom12

Hi! My name is Cameron and I'm sick of my 22RE's low output!

As much as I hate to lose the 22RE reliability, I've downshifted up my last hill (I hope), and decided I want to do a full Jeep drivetrain swap to the 4.0 I6 to maximize fuel efficiency in the swap and keep reliability as high as can be.

I figure that way I get a free solid-axle swap out of the donor truck, as well as some new seats as mine are just about done, some stronger axles, new springs for the typical sagging rear on the 4Runners, and a better transfer case. Plus then I'll have it all together in one package and not have to worry about piece-mealing parts together with adaptors which should cut the cost down quite a bit.

Anyways, before I go hunting a donor, does anyone know the dimensions of the 4.0 including accessories? I'm worried most about longitudinal length and will be running an electric fan set-up.

Thanks!
--Cameron

I don't think you could shoehorn a 4.0L into a Toy engine bay, it was never designed for such a long engine.

I'd put the 4Runner aside and pick up a Cherokee, they're cheap and relatively reliable. You'll be money and time ahead, with a lot fewer headaches.

I would but the 4Runner's got some sentimental value... My Dad owned it since new and just gave it to me. The motor's got some minor issues but the lack of power is driving me insane. So you don't think it'd fit? If I could get some measurements from the flywheel to the harmonic balancer I could go figure it out for sure...

I'd rather say with a straight-6 with the type of low-rpm driving I usually do.

Would anyone mind running outside and measuring from the back of the motor to the front?

won't fit! my uncle has a 4 runner and my buddys got a 4.0 wrangler. mesured them up but yuo could do the 4.3 gm swap plenty of power and it will fit right in.just my two cents.

Back