First Jeep! Questions

climbky

Hello, next week I will be purchasing my first jeep:). It's a 2005 Unlimited. I've done my homework and researched some of the modifications I would like to do. I was hoping to get some input from yall.

I eventually want to lift it 2" and run 32x11.50. I was wondering if you had any suggestions for the type of lift to use. I would like something that provides a good ride on the pavement but is still capable off road. I read Terry's article on the 2" lift and will probably go with something similar.

The next thing is rim size. What would be the best size to run with these tires? And will the factory rims work?

Lastly, towing. I have a small camper that weighs about 2500lbs. I know the 05 Unlimited is rated to 3500 lbs. I was just wondering if any of you pull with your jeeps and had any advice. Thanks, Matt

The 32X11.50 tires should fit the factory rims. For the towing, i wouldn't go anymore than 65-70 MPH. They get really squirlly @ high speeds with a trailer. One thing that helps with stability when towing is an equalizer bar. It will keep the Jeep more leveled and keep your front end loaded as opposed to the rear sagging and the front pulled up.

Awesome! Thanks for the input, I will be looking into the equilizer bar. Luckily I will not be towing really far distances, maybe 50 miles at the most.

heh, I just got a 2005 unlimited. They are great. Today especially, since it was sunny and warm. Lol, it took me 15 minutes longer at the gas station this morning because a couple of people wanted to look at/talk about my jeep.
BTW, Welcome to Jeepz.

Attachments

• Copy of 101_2537.JPG
    Copy of 101_2537.JPG
    1 MB · Views: 137
  • DSCN1180.JPG
    DSCN1180.JPG
    1.3 MB · Views: 223

:welcome: to the Z! Once you get 5 posts and your new Jeep put up some pictures!

Well, I go to pick it up on Saturday!! I was wondering if anybody here has upgraded with an Air Intake System. Are the benefits worth the price? I was thinking of purchasing one along with a Cat Back exhaust upgrade.

Well, I go to pick it up on Saturday!! I was wondering if anybody here has upgraded with an Air Intake System. Are the benefits worth the price? I was thinking of purchasing one along with a Cat Back exhaust upgrade.

Unless you are going for the bling factor, an aftermarket intake won't provide anymore performance other than looking cool. Plus, depending on your setup, they have an awful way of acting like a straw when doing a water crossing. The stock air box provides more than enough air.

To realize the full potential of an intake/exhaust upgrade, you'll need to replace the throttle body too.

I ran a stock intake with a 62mm throttle body, and MagnaFlow performance cat and exhaust. Definitely pumped up the old gal.

Unfortunately, the larger bored throttle bodies can cause an unpleasant whistle. At least the Rubicon Express and Edge TB's do for sure. Not certain about Hesco or Jeepers Creepers. Most people can't stand it. I was one of them.

Hope that helps a little. Good luck, and definitely post some pics after picking her up.

Back