Tossing around the idea

RadRacer

First off, my name's Mike. I currently own a 97 V6 Camaro that my father and I have done all the work too; we've rebuilt the engine 2x, done full boltons, rear end swap with 3.73 gears, cam'd and ported intake manifolds. I also tuned this beast myself and it put down 235rwhp 232rwtq with some room to play with the timing still:). I've own this car since 6-6-06, and have loved it; but, I'm starting to grow tired of it. Everyone complains that it sits too low, rear seats are near non-existant, and I live on a dirt road so the suspension gets beat quite abit. I've been tossing around the idea of selling the Camaro and getting a '08/'09 Wrangler (JK, right?). Preferably a 3.8L 6 speed 4x4. Power wise, the Jeep will be about where I started with the Camaro, so no biggie there; one of my biggest concerns is gas mileage. EPA says 15 city/19 highway?!? One thing I love about my Camaro is that even with all those mods, I average about 17 city, 28 highway. If I get a Jeep, I'll probably throw a cold air intake and decent exhaust on it ASAP; how much better do you think the mileage will be? I'm not looking for an off-road beast, but something I can have fun with every now and then and not worry about getting a little dirty :). I like the removable hard-tops and looks of the Wrangler.

I've started kinda ramblin on here :p. I guess main thing I'm looking for is pros/cons of getting a newer Wrangler, what kind of mileage to expect, and how comfortable are the back seats?

Last edited:

Well Mike, welcome to Jeepz to start with. Jeeps are not economy cars, that's for certain. Nor are they hot ricky-ticky racing machines. But if you do the mods you speak of, a lift enough to put some GRIPTION tires underneath it, and lockers on both axles, it's sort of like a gun because you really gotta watch and THINK about where you POINT the dang thing cause the mutha's probably gonna MAKE IT!!

Welcome to Jeepz. The fuel economy varies with the driver, terrain and geographical location. The EPA rating posted on the windows of these vehicles are the results from them as tested. The rear seating are comfortable but i personnaly haven't sat on it long enough to really say it's good on long trips. Mopar offers the Cold air intake as well as the performance exaust system without voiding warranty on certain powertrain claims. Most of the Jeepers i know love's the improved performance and some say they don't notice it at all.

One of my ideas is pick up a cheapie older Jeep to slowly rebuild; this way I wouldn't have to get rid of the Camaro yet. Bring it back to life and then put a diesel power plan in it :) Or just bite the bullet and sell/trade the Camaro as a down payment on a newer JK.

Regardless of the mods I don't think you'll be able to get more than 20 highway if that. The Jeep has the aerodynamics of a brick.

dont waist money on a camaro!!
image-missing.png
find a nice old flatie resore that and be done lol and by the way
image-missing.png
dont toss around the idea do it !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Last edited:
Well, went by a dealer the other day; 05 Wrangler X with 23K miles, 4.0 I6, 6 spd manual, Kenwood radio, 6-7" lift (skyjacker and a small body lift), off road bumpers, tan soft top, 1/2 doors, all riding on 37" AT's :). I fell in love, till I saw the price! $20,000 for it :(. I found a very similar one from a private seller for $14K. I'm not tossing the idea around anymore, I'm pretty certain I'll be getting one; it's just a matter of finding the right one at the right time. I still owe on my Camaro (6 months till it's paid), so I might just wait till then, idk. Probably sell it and take that cash as a down payment eventually.

Found a TJ I like; 99 Wrangler Sport with 3.5" suspension lift on 33's with 78K miles, only part I don't like is it's an auto but I think I'll live :p. I'm still waiting to hear back from this guy about purchasing my car, but if he does so soon, I'll probably be bringing this home :)

Back