member from Montana

dirtster

Hi, I'm in Billings, MT. Lots of great places to go 4whln around here. I have been a dirt bike trail rider for years but I'm adding the jeepster aspect to my toys. I have been a member for awhile but never actually bought a Jeep. Now I'm serious about finding a Wrangler to suit my interests.

One of the top runners in my choices is a 2004 Wrangler Unlimited. Question: How much penalty in off-road performance does the longer wheelbase give? My useage will be FS and BLM back roads and unmaintained roads. No real serious rock crawling, mudding or dunes. Should it even be a concern at that level of Jeeping?

I appreciate this site and look forward to being an active member.

Welcome to Jeepz. Between the long and short wheelbase is really a preference by the operator. Longer wheel base will give you more stability, room and comfort. The shorter wheel base has its advantage when it comes to tight corners and turns when crawling up on the rocks, less likely to bottom out as opposed to the longer wheelbase but more prone to a rollover depending on its clearance from the ground. For what you intend to use it for, i think a long wheel base would be a better choice IMO. Out of the box, It's an offroad ready 4X4 vehicle like no other.

I like the Unlimited myself, and if I was doing it over, I'd probably get an unlimited (I've got an 05 Wrangler SE). The shorter wheelbase may get you into tighter places once in a while, but with an unlimited, you'll be able to carry gear and 3 other people. I'd say the pluses outweigh any minuses.

ps - here's a nice looking one
2004 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited

Back