New from Gainesville, GA

cottnpickr

Hi everyone. I am the new owner of an '84 CJ7 that my late, beloved brother bought new, and his wife wanted me to restore it because he loved it so much. It has turned out to be a job that may be much bigger than I (and that's pretty big). I have it taken all to pieces, sanded, primed, sanded again, and ready to paint. I'm putting power steering and power brakes on it. The steering has proven to be a real pain. I've put a Weber carb on, replaced most rubber hoses, got new front seats for it (not yet in). Oh, it is a 4.2 w/119k mi., does not smoke. Don't know anything about reliability of this engine. Is it worn out at this mileage? 'Bro always kept good oil in it (he was a mechanic). Will be replacing carpet, have bought a Bestop. He had a hard top which he had never removed, but I think Jeeps are supposed to be open. He also had never taken it offroad except for hunting. It has 33" tires (worn out).
I won't be doing much to it for several weeks after 10/20/10 because I'm having back surgery, but will paint it as soon as I can. The primer needs covering. I plan to use the single-stage Valspar urethane, do it myself. I have painted several motorcycles but never a large vehicle, so a little nervous.
That's about it. Any ideas, suggestions would be much appreciated as this is my 1st Jeep (does it really stand for "just empty every pocket?") lol. BJ

Good luck on your project and welcome on board.

welcome buddy!! that engine isn't even broken in yet. if you've painted bikes, i think you'll be fine on that jeep

Back