Stalling problem on jeep grand cherokee v8

chevy3

IM having stalling issues with my jeep. It doesnt turn off or anything like that. Sometimes to turn on i gotta put on Neutral and ill start but after driving it 20 minutes it starts stalling. I changed the gas pump, all tune up, and checked the pcm. Im thinking of cleaning the throttle and putting new crank shaft. Im loosing my mind trying to solve the problem!!!! All light work and everything it just stalls!!!!

Any stored fault codes? How many miles? A new crank sensor isn't a bad idea but, a bad one usually takes a few minutes to cool down before it'll restart. I'm thinking an EGR valve that's not seating fully on decel. Remove the valve and check for carbon build-up on the seat, and free motion of the plunger.

Exhaust Gas Recirculation. It's an emission device used to reduce combustion chamber temperatures, you need this system for a number of reasons. It "sips" exhaust gas back into the engine under certain driving conditions. When it "carbons up", it can stick open too long and stall the engine in the way you describe. Restarting the engine re-seats it until the next time that it tries to function.

If the EGR is sticking open, it stalls the engine by effectively "smothering" the combustion (over simplified explanation, but close enough). Ideally, replacement is the way to go, but new ones are expensive, and we don't really know for sure that's what you need. That's why I recommended inspecting, and cleaning it. If it's REALLY bad when you look at it, it might then be worthwhile to install a new one.

Remember, there are literally hundreds of reasons why a high mileage engine might stall (tune-up, vacuum leaks, etc.). If you feel you're "in over your head" you may want to take it to an experienced repair shop, rather then spending money randomly on parts.

I took it to my mechanic and he changed the egnition coil and it stopped stalling for some hours, then came back. So now he will change the crankshaft

Back