new guy from md

igor

hello, i am new to this world. i aquired a cj7 and am astarting to restore it. hte jeep was a former national park service vehicle and it is a 1982. the clock shows 120350 miles on it and is going to need some rust repair on the body. it is forest green with a whit fiberglass top. it has a new radiator water pump hoses etc . the front and rear diffs have been rebuilt. the oil is very clean although it has been sitting for the last 2 years. the former owner was in hte hindu kush mountains in the army so he was somewhart busy.he says it is great country for 4 wheeli9ng over there , but for the shooting and such kinda puts a damper on all that.
anyway i used to be able to fix engines back in the 50 s and 60 s, so the jeep is that simple. it has a 4 spd and a gm 2.5 four.
so got to see if it starts, it was turn ed over once by him and then he stopped, didnt want to ruin the engine.
i dont want to tsake down the gas tank unless absoulutly necessary but i want to clean it some what so good gas will work. any suggestions.
about my self well i am a 66 yr old former army helo driver vietnam disabled vet and a retired county police sgt.
a retired university police bike cop and a retired deputy sheriff.
my youngest son, who has a 06 wrangler and aquired a 60 cj5 at about the same time i got the cj7. his cj5 has a fiberglass body a 3 spd trans and a 225 v6 engine.
so i amn going to have a lot of queestions a lot. i think i will start with the brakes a d getting them working then the engine starting and then the body work

Welcome to the forum.

I'm with you - don't try to run it on that old gas. I'd go ahead and replace the oil and gas, and possibly the coolant. You may be able to siphon the gas out of the tank, but you could just run from a gas can to your fuel pump at a temporary measure.

The worst thing about old gas is that you'll get moisture in the tank. The moisture (water) is heavier than the gas, and will settle to the bottom of the tank, causing the tank to rust. It might be easier in the long run to just drop the tank, drain it, and take a look at it. Don't forget to replace the fuel filter.

I'd probably pull the spark plugs and replace them if they look bad (I'd probably replace them anyway since they are cheap).

Back