New to "Jeep'n" looking for suggestions...

jbruenni

Hi Everyone, I'm Jason and I've just recently gotten hooked on off-roading / trail riding. I've got a 2012 Tundra TRD and I've done some off-roading in and my neighbor that I often go with has a 2011 Jeep. I'm looking for thoughts on a specific model year, or model Jeep that I could pick up for maybe around 5K to start working on building up a solid off-road machine. I love my Tundra but, it's simply too big and not really designed for off road work like the Jeeps.

Any thoughts on the best way for me to start? Specific Models / Years / Engines / Transmissions etc that I should look for to build my first machine? Thanks in advance!

Welcome to the Z. I'd personally look for a '91-'95 Wrangler with the 4.0L six cylinder engine. Second choice would be a '98+ Wrangler but they're more expensive to lift with the coil spring suspensions. The benefit to the coils is they often ride a little smoother than the leaf springs on the '91-95.

The '91-'99 Cherokee is also a good solid platform to build. The extra wheelbase often helps offroad, at the expense of a non-removeable top and flimsy unibody construction.

91 to 95 Jeep Wrangler yj. Might be able to find one with a lift on it for that price. also has the ability to go spring over axle 5" to 6" of lift and improved flexibility and articulation at a reasonable cost and ability for a mechanically inclined person to build. I paid 5,000 for my Wrangler 95 with small lift hard and soft top full and half doors. This was a great platform for Me to start my build. 96 and newer tjs are similar but the cost of lifting with springs and long arm kits get pricy quick. Don't go with a cherokee because it's cooler when you can party with your top off! Lol oh yea and a unibody sucks

3032514546-1.gif
and enjoy the forum!

Thanks a lot. Pickings seem to be slim, not a lot of Jeeps out there for sale but, there are a few in that year range. In your opinion should I be looking for a standard or automatic trans? Is one better then the other off road? Pros or Cons?

I appreciate your help! Thanks.

Some guys love wheeling with an automatic. I think for a Jeep that sees alot of offroad driving a manual is the way to go. A manual gives you the ability to choose what rpm and how much wheel spin and torque is applied. Up here in the PACIFIC North west I do alot of trail and snow wheeling so a manual helps me crawl threw hard areas and rock the Jeep back and forth when needed.you can crawl with a auto but it takes a steady foot witch is hard going over Rocky areas. One of my Buddys in my wheeling crew has a cherokee with an auto I see him struggle the most when we are in deep snow and he has a hard time controlling his wheel spin where I can throw it in 1st 4 low and not touch the throttle and she will crawl right along. IM not sure witch is stronger or last longer IM sure there close but at the bottom line is a manual gives you more options offroad. any serious offroader will go with a manual.

Thanks for your thoughts. I was leaning towards a standard but wasn't sure. I've always preferred driving standard, more fun.

not agreed... i love my inline 6 5 speed on the beach. i can cruise in 2nd and 3rd and even ride and surf my jeep. even my girl was able to learn stick on the beach and get out on the surf bars while driving stick for her first time.

Back