my first jeep...

Pappy

Hey folks,
Just acquired a 59 CJ5 from a family member who could no longer afford his toys.. something about baby formula and diapers being more expensive than he had planned :)

Has a bunch of mods - thought maybe somebody here might know the vehicle and can lend some expertise.. believe he bought i t from someone in California
It has been lifted - son thinks about 3" - has 33"tires.
small block Chev engine - looks like 4bbl
stick shift
tilt steering column

THANKS all - look forward to posting some "dumb questions" and gathering your advice

Attachments

• CJ5_side.jpg
    CJ5_side.jpg
    84.2 KB · Views: 303
  • CJ5_rear.jpg
    CJ5_rear.jpg
    91.2 KB · Views: 371
  • cj5_front.jpg
    cj5_front.jpg
    80.6 KB · Views: 303

Welcome to Jeepz.com. That's a pretty cool old Jeep!

Post some photos of the suspension and the shackles, as well as the engine and we'll do our best. It's definitely got some sort of lift on there to fit those 33s.

Does it run ?

it kinda runs...
looks like bad fuel pump - very little volume at the carb.
have verified the line from tank to pump is clean. gonna replace with electric and "hide" the switch.

According to the paperwork - engine has 3,183 miles on it.
1965 283/4bbl from Chevy IIN Nova (220 hp)
has power steering and brakes, front discs and a GM tilt column.
front frame has been "boxed for strength.
Sombody put alotta work into this thing.

pics, pics, pics. take pics of everything, engine, trans, transfercase, back of transfercase, axles, end of back axle shafts (where tire bolts on). 65 283, chevy nova!! you could possibly have what was a popular swap in the late 60,s and early 70,s. It was popular to swap in a chevy engine with the CAR Muncie 4spd adapted to the transfercase. I have a 65 chevy 327 with the M21 Muncie 4spd adapted to the transfercase in my jeep. Nothing fancy about it other than you get a very desirable transmission amongst hot rodders. Is fun slamming through gears on the road though embarrassing Hondas. I out ran a mustang once... take pictures and we can probably tell you what you have to start with..

A 59 CJ5 as a first Jeep is like a horney supermodel with an engineering doctorate for a first girlfriend!

Sent from my SM-G935P using Jeepz.com mobile app

Back