New to forum

Thclabough

Hi all, Tom Clabough here. I'm currently working on my first real jeep...a1955 CJ-5. I had it trailered from Northern California to here, Temecula. Long story of how I acquired her, but she's mine now. It was left out for past 20 plus years, and the engine is seized up. So, it's my new jeep and away I go!!!1st thing is to unseize engine. That's this weeks project....oh and clean out more of garage for working room.

Welcome to the Z, glad to have you.

Be sure to post up pics of this project as it progresses.

Welcome Tom ! make sure the stater is not locked into the flywheel before you start tearing it down. I lost a 60 something Willeys pickup to a guy that had it running the next day because it was just the starter engaged to the flywheel ! my loss his gain.... just saying.

3032514546-1.gif
and enjoy the forum!

Ran out of diesel, got some more tonight. Will add some more tomorrow. Slowly but surely. It looks like one week has turned into two. It will probably never be as nice looking as your Wrangler, but it should wheel pretty good. How are things on the east coast? Chat soon

I would love to see some pictures of your jeep.....

Somewhat at a standstill. I took my breaker bar and a cheater. I put enough pressure to unseize, however the crank bolt just tightened some with no engine movement. My next trick is to, well gotta roll jeep out of garage and cleanup diesel spill. I read about putting the moves on the flywheel teeth. There is better torque , leverage and no broken bolts. I'll attempt this tomorrow. Also need to turn jeep around to get at front end better. If it breaks free, don't worry, you will hear me yell one big Yee Haw! Good night for now.

Oh, I will get some pictures once she is outside. Gonna be some dirty pictures, so be careful showing children. Lol!!

Well, didn't quite get it out of the e garage. I noticed the tires were low, so I fired up my compressor to take care of; However, when I tried to air up the tires I found the cores all gunked up. Down to the auto store for new cores and a tool to r&r. Oh, plus some shiny new caps. So, I did get some air in. Also I got underneath to get a look at the flywheel. After I wiped up all the diesel I spilled. Couldn't quite get to the teeth as there is a dust cover on it, but I was able to remove the two bolts holding it on. Just not the cover yet. No pics yet. I hope to role it out tomorrow or Monday to take a crack at freeing up motor. Wish me luck. Tom

Have read your posts with interest as I've crossed this bridge more than once recently. The only success I claim is my 1973 jeep cj5 258 I6. The jeeps engine was stuck but only from sitting , not from any internal damage . I was able to free it with pb blaster and time and a good yank from my '92 Cherokee . Thank goodness for manual transmission . It's running .
Well , that's my success story , but I've two of dismal failures. One was a stuck solid ford 3.8 V6 which ended up a sailboat anchor and a 455 olds engine which we found only by means of disassembly that a cylinder wall was rusted through . So much for a vintage power plant .
if your engine does hold its coolant level , I believe there should be hope .
the olds 455 didn't . That was our first clue . My friend was filling the radiator of his not so prize '69 olds cutlass conv. and asked " how much water do these engines take ? " . We laugh now but I got a sick feeling as I heard liquid entering the crankcase while I was installing a starter .
I believe that time should prevail with the use of diesel fuel , which is supposed to be the best solution since it has properties that prevent slugging and I believe rust inhibitors as well .
i realize it's been about two weeks since you've started this procedure and thus far haven't been successful . Before removing the cylinder head , have a plan first . Fully realize as well your asking for advise here at jeepz.com. I will say from all I've heard of this subject as well as my experience that every stuck engine has its own story . Some are just rust around the piston rings from broken down engine oil moisture or water has made its way down an intake via the carburetor and through an intake valve .
A lighted bore scope would be great about now but a plan to deal with rust is better .
No doubt you've heard of all the concoctions and home brews for this task .
can tell you that trans fluid and acetone didn't work for me but we didn't give it much time either.
my only question is , with an empty crankcase ( oil drained ) , is there any sign of diesel fuel making it past any cylinders or has any cylinder's level not dropped ?
All it takes is one cylinder to cause the engine to not rotate. If it is in fact one , that will be the focus of your next plan . Compressed air may be helpful to force solution through? You may still need to remove the cylinder head but there is another plan of attack . It is easier with the engine out and upside down but with the oil pan off , you would have access to the cylinders from below the rings where a penetrating oil or what ever is elected to proceed with its task can be applied . Attacking from both top and bottom of piston bores gives a better chance . I don't know if the 134 engine has more compression rings or even oil rings than other engines but if so , that is just more surface to fight .
if you elect to pull this engine in an attempt to try it the way I've posted , there is pluses to this .
you may be persuaded to remove the cylinder head after enough attempts of soaking the engine and tempted to hammer on the stuck piston(s) with a block of wood . Should you go this route , please use restraint . Your not trying to hit the bell at the carnival . Piston domes can shatter as I'm sure you know .
I would first investigate the level of each cylinder to see if any progress was met .
hoping that the least amount of cylinders are a problem and maybe a strong penetrant will yield results with a little help from a good pull from another vehicle . Use restraint too. Find strong anchor points . Don't rely on bumpers . I don't think using an axle is advised either .
If the engine isn't free with reasonable force , more time of soaking or an engine pull is in order .
youll be the judge . One good thing about the engine pulled is that it's one step closer to rebuild or replacement if warranted . That's what we figured on in the case of the '69 conv.
Not wishing for you to have to pull or even replace the existing power plant but don't want to see you in denial as we were . Hey , hope you can get your hands on a good lighted bore scope .

Last edited:

Sometimes I wish I had a Wrangler.....NOT. Too much fun reviving my CJ5 beast.

Just remember...it's all for fun. Jeep work is good work! Every hour spent on the CJ will prove to be well spent when you look back with pride of accomplishment. And a "55 no less.
Can't wait for those pictures....work in progress or not!

I actually pulled the starter first to I'd the engine. DOZE-6015-A block. I am getting so close to pulling the engine. I still have to get my new pry bar on the flywheel teeth. I'm cautiously optimistic because something is really frozen. I'm starting to think that I'll break something, but still gotta try...know what I mean. I got all busy with grandkids finals week , along with, ok I'll admit it, procrastination!! So, I owe everyone some pics and update on frozen engine. I'll make a serious effort this week to work on those two things. Oh, I did try to rock jeep back and forth while in high range, 2nd gear and hubs locked in attempt moving engine....nothing. So keep me updated on your projects to give me some mojo. Thx. Tom C.

If the cylinders have been soaking a reasonable amount of time , you can try to bar it over but if the engine didn't break loose with a few tugs , I think the breaker bar wouldn't yield much results . You can pull the cylinder head to get a look at the condition of the cylinders if you've got a rebuild in mind but if not , time to get it ready for a pull . I sure respect anyone who is making a concerted effort to save the limited supply of CJ's left in the world . A new engine is new life . Do use restraint with that breaker bar , don't want you to snap the bolt in the crankshaft snout.

Back