New Jeep owner having problems

YJowner

Hello all so I bought a 95 YJ the other day it's a 4 cylinder when the engine is cold it fires right up but after its warm say I stop for gas turn the engine off. I try to start it and nothing happens no sound no nothing. If it sits for a while and cools off then will crank over and start fine. Any ideas of what the problem could be? This is my daily driver for now so it's pretty important that I get this resolved fast.

I can't tell you exactly the reason, but I had a vehicle a number of years ago that did the same thing and the problem was the starter. Maybe it was a short, but when it got hot it refused to turn... No sounds whatsoever other than coming from my mouth. I guess putting a meter on it could answer the question.

Sent from my XT1650 using Jeepz.com mobile app

From your description of the fault , it does sound like the starter has an internal short .
An amperage draw test would have to be performed but that is a little involved if you don't have proper equipment to perform the test . Not much is needed but I think it's better to confirm that the electrical system is ok and replace the starter if all connections are found good .
Diagnostics has its place but if you feel the engine cranks when the starter is cool , the electrical system is most likely ok but always good to inspect . You may have a battery positive that can't carry the amperage and a ground cable that is the same . Check those first .
If they appear good , check if they are excessively hot after cranking .
I do however suggest that if you replace the starter , replacing the positive and negative cables is good to do if they are very old . Cables corrode inside the insulation and cause great resistance which can very well produce the fault your experiencing .
You may want to try that first but dollar wise it may be feasible to purchase a starter and cables and call it good . Generally , OEM electrical is often better than what we find today in parts stores so if you feel the starter has any chance at all . I still think it could be worth swapping out the cables first . Just my thoughts .

I had a similar problem with my CJ7. The choke coil would get stuck in the full choke position and not release when the engine warmed up! the no sounds at all is a little strange which makes me think that maybe its something else electronic, but just thought i would share.

Back