Not another new guy

Rpickle

I say something similar to the title of this thread on performance forums I'm on. Specifically ,Diesel pick ups and Mustang forums. Humility is a hard pill to swallow when you try something new and I'll remember that next time I answer a question on those forums.

I am a middle aged guy about to buy my first Jeep and don't want to make a crap ton of mistakes that throw me way over budget. Kids are grown and out of the house and I have a little disposable income to play with. I've had fast cars and trucks, still have a couple. Time for something I don't have to keep clean and I through with car show and drag strip drama. Too old.

Well, I'll do some searching first then post up questions for what I cant find. So far lots of good info.

Welcome to Jeepz.com!

Are you looking for a daily driver, or a second car / toy? Any idea of a budget?

Welcome!

Well this is a friendly jeep forum. Many forums are, and one or two will flame you if you act like you know better. All of them have knowledgable members that want to help. Just some are more colorful in how they do that.
Also jeep clubs are good to join. Knowledgable, helpful and four wheeling events.

As Terry asked what do you plan to do with the jeep? Daily driver, show jeep, mild, moderate or extreme off-roading?

FYI every year or model has their pro's and cons. One big thing is to check the frame and body for rot.

Ask away and have fun!

Regards,
JPNinPA

Sent using TapTalk

Looking for a toy that can be driven on the street when needed or too OHV's etc. It will actually be my 7th vehicle that we own and drive so it wont be a daily. No real max budget but under 50K is a good start. From my research I am avoiding the 3.8 wranglers and as much of a fan of the 4.0 as I am, will need the room of an unlimited. That narrows me down to 2012 and up or finding an older scrambler. I'm really hoping to find something someone already put most of the effort into and money and then add my touches.

50 is a nice budget. Care to share? The budget that is..

Building is fun. Though stock or stock plus 2.5 in can do a lot. Many go for 4 in and 35's with mega articulation you might not need depending.

You might find a club or two near you and go on a ride with them.

Regards,
JPNinPA

Sent using TapTalk

Last edited:
3032514546-1.gif
and enjoy the forum!

I found a 17 Rubicon Recon today drove 180 mile round trip to look at it. Used, 1 owner with less than 10K miles. Good Price but no lift or wheels and its at a Jeep dealer. They do a bunch of conversions so we are haggling over them doing a rough country 4 inch lift and 35's. Try and keep it under warranty. If not to much more then outsourcing it to a local shop then I might bite on it.

LOL on the sharing portion. I'm also not much for the club thing. Muscle car clubs burned me out. I am a make a decision and move on kind of guy. Large groups of people tend to be more sheep and that irritates me. Old age I guess.

Just to be clear your using LOL as, Lend Our Loot, right? Thanks!

Sounds like your on your way to a newer jeep. FYI most lift kits do not have everything you need to do it right.

Regards,
JPNinPA

Sent using TapTalk

Lend our Loot is being stolen and used.

That seems to be the case on kits. Once we get everything nailed down for the exact kit i'll be back to ask for specific's on whats missing.

Just to be clear your using LOL as, Lend Our Loot, right? Thanks!

Sounds like your on your way to a newer jeep. FYI most lift kits do not have everything you need to do it right.

Regards,
JPNinPA

Sent using TapTalk

Back